ITV interview with family member Father Browne

Mark VII

Hello everyone,

I’m intrigued by a 2012 report of ITV Meridian News on Father Browne who famously took photographs onboard the RMS Titanic before disembarking at Queenstown. Here’s the link: Titanic Photographs

According to the report Father Browne left his great-nephew - one Mr John Martin in Hawkhurst - many photographs and “that original Kodak camera”.

I very much like to watch the ITV interview with Mr Martin to find out whether he inherited anything related to the Titanic?

Unfortunately the interview - broadcasted around 23 March 2012 I think - is not online and ITV has not responded to any of my emails.

Maybe a long shot, but I was hoping that someone here has a copy of this broadcast and/or has advice on how to get hold of this TV interview or Mr Martin? Other suggestions are welcome too!

Thanks a lot.

I am prepared to be schooled by all you Titanic experts, so here goes. I am confused by the two photographs that illustrate the article. Are they really of Titanic, or other vessels? Look at the lifeboats in both photos. One shows a square-sterned cutter swung outboard of the aftermost lifeboat, and no such craft or arrangement was used on Titanic. Her emergency "cutters" were up forward, near the wheelhouse, and I believe they were double-ended craft. On the second photo, the low lifeboat deck and loose planking above does not fit Titanic.

I suspect Father Brown took photos aboard several ships, and these are not of Titanic.

Both photos appear in the book ‘Father Browne’s Titanic Album’ and to be more precise: in the chapter ‘On The Day A Liner Sailed: A Photo Essay’. The chapter contains “photographs of various liners”.

So you’re right, the photographs in the ITV report are taken by Father Browne but not aboard the Titanic.

I wonder what this says about the accuracy of the other information in the report, including the claim that Mr Martin owns “that original Kodak camera”?

Hello Mark VII and Bo Bowman, Just to confirm your suspicions, those two photographs used in the article are definitely not the Titanic, or Olympic (which Browne also travelled on at some point).

I would also add, that for Browne's reason for leaving the ship, I've never heard it being due to a cold he had. The trip was a present to travel from Southampton to Queenstown.

Hello everyone,

I’m intrigued by a 2012 report of ITV Meridian News on Father Browne who famously took photographs onboard the RMS Titanic before disembarking at Queenstown. Here’s the link: Titanic Photographs

According to the report Father Browne left his great-nephew - one Mr John Martin in Hawkhurst - many photographs and “that original Kodak camera”.

I very much like to watch the ITV interview with Mr Martin to find out whether he inherited anything related to the Titanic?

Unfortunately the interview - broadcasted around 23 March 2012 I think - is not online and ITV has not responded to any of my emails.

Maybe a long shot, but I was hoping that someone here has a copy of this broadcast and/or has advice on how to get hold of this TV interview or Mr Martin? Other suggestions are welcome too!

Thanks a lot.
Hello Mark,

I am afraid I am not big of a help since I've searched the ITV's National Archives and couldn't find the broadcast neither...

But I will definitely continue my researches and keep you informed if I find anything !

Good day to you,
Manon

Back