James Arthur Paintin

Jean Walker Peck (daughter of Elsie Dora Paintin) supplied the letter from her Uncle and Beryl Lynch Morron (daughter of Edith Florence Paintin) supplied some of the photographs of her Uncle. - Beryl Morron

Scots connection?James Arthur Paintin appears to be a distant relative of my wife's (Second cousin of her maternal grandfather Harold Organ). I am intrigued by the Scottish connection. I note one of your photos is of him wearing a kilt. Also, a portrait (not here) in a 2012 Daily Mail article on him shows a border round the photo of a studio portrait taken in Carron, Strathspey, and intriguingly the photographer's studio is named "Towle and Paintin". However, I have been unable to trace any Scottish ancestors - we have traced the Paintin line back to 17th Century and all come from Oxfordshire or Gloucestershire. It could of course be coincidental that the photographer had the same surname. Can anyone shed any light on this?

He seems to be a distant relative of my grandmother. He lived quite close to her hometown of Portsmouth, so it is quite likely, but it is quite hard to gather a lot of information online without paying.

My great grandfather was John Pryor paintin, they called him jack. His father was James paintin, traveled to us via the Adriatic in 1883 from England, if you know more information it would be interesting. I'm trying to find James father, and if William Frederick Henry paintin was James brother. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

It appears that James was my grandmother's uncle , her father had a tobbaconists shop in Oxford , she had I think seven siblings . All the boys were career servicemen from just after ww1 through into ww2 her brother leslie Arthur paintin died june 29 1937 aboard HMS Douglas and is buried in military cemetery in Malta , my grandmother died in 69 married name Flynn , but I still remember brothers and sisters alive into the early 1980s .

Back