James Kelly

He was my mothers granddad, which also makes him my great grandfather as well. Francis Richard Kelly was my grandfather. May they both rest in peace.

This was my mothers paternal grandfather, her father, (my grandfather), was James' eldest son, Francis Richard Kelly. Grandpa Frank was certainly a one of a kind man, and I only regret not spending more time with him. Mary Conlan, my great grandmother, did in fact return to Ireland, where my grandfather spent his youth and at a very young age, joined Óglaıġ na hÉıreann, the original IRA . He served under Brig. Gen. McKenna's "B" Co. of the 5th Northern Division until 1921, when the Irish Free State was formed. He also served in the National Army during WWII, and was attached to the Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry, where he received the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Home Guard Badge. He departed for America, where he met a lovely Scottish lass named Theresa McMahon, my grandmother, and they married in 1925. At the onset of the depression, he returned to Ireland with his family. He worked for the Ford Motor Company in Cork City, Ireland and the Caxton Publishing House in Glasgow, Scotland. In 1948, he and Theresa returned to America with their family. I recall many stories and antics recollected by him, of "the old country". RIP grandpa.

This was my mothers paternal grandfather, her father, (my grandfather), was James' eldest son, Francis Richard Kelly. Grandpa Frank was certainly a one of a kind man, and I only regret not spending more time with him. Mary Conlan, my great grandmother, did in fact return to Ireland, where my grandfather spent his youth and at a very young age, joined Óglaıġ na hÉıreann, the original IRA . He served under Brig. Gen. McKenna's "B" Co. of the 5th Northern Division until 1921, when the Irish Free State was formed. He also served in the National Army during WWII, and was attached to the Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry, where he received the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Home Guard Badge. He departed for America, where he met a lovely Scottish lass named Theresa McMahon, my grandmother, and they married in 1925. At the onset of the depression, he returned to Ireland with his family. He worked for the Ford Motor Company in Cork City, Ireland and the Caxton Publishing House in Glasgow, Scotland. In 1948, he and Theresa returned to America with their family. I recall many stories and antics recollected by him, of "the old country". RIP grandpa.

Back