John Bertram Crafton

On Memorial Day 1998, my family and I visited one of the local grave yards in Bloomington Indiana. We found a tombstone that had the name J.R. Crafton on it and it said that he was lost on the Titanic. We wanted to know where he was from and what class passenger he was. I have been looking at other pages, but yours is the only one that had the information that I wanted. It was very easy to find, and work through your page. Keep up the good work, and Thank you.

Shane Ellett
Ellettsville, Indiana; Cincinnati, and Columbus Ohio

I am attempting to learn more about a relative that was on the Titanic. His name was John Bertran Crafton and he was in first class.

Danny Lee Crafton
Twin Falls Idaho 83301

And a few words of admiration for the chronically under-appreciated Phil Hind - kudoes on the updates to the bio (especially the Crafton one - I know first hand of the birthpangs that went into that one!). Good stuff all around, which keeps ET fresh and well ahead of the game.

Yes, thanks a lot Phil!
I'm I always delighted when one of the more elusive passengers is "discovered". It's also great that we've now got a photo of Crafton.

Thanks again
Ben

Will - I think the following clears it up:

Crafton, Mr. John Bertram. Missing. En route from the Victoria Hotel, London, to C/o H. R. Crafton, Rochdale, Indiana. (Born 1853).
Returning from Carlsbad after attempt to cure his rheumatism.
Insurance claim number C38 and C68. Life: $60,000. Property: $6,000.
Has a memorial stone in the Rose Hill Cemetery, in Bloomington, Indiana. Inscribed on the stone is:
Lost on the Titanic.

Cheers Brian

Re: John Bertram Craftondoes he have any relatives living today.because, as you can see, my last name is crafton and i'd like to know if he was one of my ancestors.

J B Crafton was from Roachdale, IN and died in the Titanic tragedy. He was known as the ‘stone king’ in Bloomington, IN where he lived at the time of his death. His body was never recovered but his family erected a very large grave stone in his memory. The stone says ‘Lost on the Titanic.’ He is not buried there but other members of his family are.

Unfortunately I can remember a not very good Titanic novel that chose to appropriate John Crafton and another Titanic passenger (I believe it was Hugh Root?) and turn them into evil villains simply because the author of that novel couldn't find any information about them and thus decided it was somehow "safe" to turn them into villains of convenience for his plot (in which Jacques Futrelle is solving some murder/crime aboard the ship before the sinking) rather than just invent two fictional characters with fictional names.

Back