Just found out that John James Borebank (ticket no. 110489, cabin D22) is a relative of a Mr Bowbanks for whom we are undertaking family history research. Assusmed that he would be travelling in third class! Shocked to see it was first! How wonderful to have a photo to show. Great site!

S and G Lord
Nottingham, England

That same April 20, 1912 "Daily Graphic" has a picture on the same page with the caption: "Mr. J. J. Borebank, a well-known Californian horticulturist." His E.T. biography says he was a real estate broker from Canada. I don't know if it's the same picture, because the E.T. picture just shows an "x" right now.

Did the Daily Graphic confuse him with Luther Burbank, the famous California horticulturist? Or did Mr. Borebank really have a California connection?

Mike

Mr. Borebank did not have a California connection, nor was he a horticulturist. He was born in West Hallam, Derbyshire, grew up in Toronto, and went into the real estate business in Winnipeg, Man. His daughter was sent to school in England, and Borebank was in England visiting her before he sailed on Titanic.

Thanks, Alan:
It didn't seem right, but I like to double check anything that might be connected to California.

Incidentally, I ordered your book through TI months ago. Check was cashed but never got the book, which I'm looking forward to reading. Many of your Canadians also have California connections, like Mrs. Frederick "Suzette" Douglas, Mark Fortune, and Mary Anne Perreault Pickett. I think Miss Perreault's boss Charles Hays also spent some time here early in his railroad career. Anyway, hope to get your book soon. Next time I'll use Amazon.
Mike Herbold
Lakewood, California

Mr. Hustak:

Regarding the biography on J.J. Borebank, I am curious as to where you people got your information? J.J. Borebank was my great uncle and I never heard anyone in my family refer to him as "Jack." He always has been called "Johnny." Also the article refers to a brother and sister. There were two brothers and four sisters, although only two of them would have been living at home. Did any of your research indicate if J.J. Borebank was connected to the Grand Trunk Railroad at the time of the sinking? My cousins noted that the President of the Grand Trunk Railroad was also on the ship and we wonder if railroad business was the reason why the president and our great uncle came back, leaving his wife in England? Finally what was Mr. Soldner's, Mr. Merchant's and your contribution to the bio.

Sincerely,

Steve Cummings
Ventura, CA

Jessica
Heres a bit more from my datbank

Borebank, Mr. John. J. Missing.
Cabin D22/1. Horticulturists, c/o Lodges of the World, Winnipeg, Canada. Real Estate agent. Left Winnipeg in the Spring of 1911 for the Coronation of King George V. Then was returning home on the Titanic.
There is a memorial plaque in the City Hall at 510 Main Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3B
1B9. The plaque is mounted on the wall near the south side stairwell just
off the tunnel that leads to the Centennial Concert Hall. Its dimensions are approximately - 18" x 40".
The inscription reads: Erected by the People of Winnipeg in memory of Their Fellow Citizens Mark Fortune; John Hugo Ross; Thompson Beattie; Charles A. Fortune; George E. Graham; and J. J. Borebank
Who with 1484 others lost their lives when the Steamship Titanic Founded in mid-Atlantic April 15, 1912 They Died that women and children might live.
John James Borebank, known as "Jack", was born 1870 in West Hallam, Derbyshire. While educated in England, he lived most of his life in Toronto. At the age of twenty-six, he moved to Winnipeg, Manitoba, remaining there fourteen years. He moved back to Toronto in 1910, residing at 177 Jameson Avenue. He had now become an esteemed real estate broker, working out of the Quebec Bank building on King St., Toronto.
For ten months, Mr. Borebank had travelled throughout Europe with his wife Isabel and eight-year-old daughter Eileen, visiting Rome, Venice and Paris, finally stopping England to enrol his daughter in school. While his wife and daughter remained in Europe, Mr. Borebank boarded the Titanic (cabin D-22) to return to Canada.
His parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Borebank and a brother and sister, residing at their grocery store at 285 Euclid Avenue, Toronto, received word of his death four days after the first news of the sinking.

I hope it helps?

Cheers Brian J. Ticehurst - Southampton UK.

Hi! my name is Jessica and i have found out that a great great great uncle of mine died on the titanic! i know the general history about but i was wondering who his descendants are in canada???? could anybody help? especially if you are a member of the family! thanks

Jessica,

From the information on this website, the first option you might want to take is to find out about his daughter, Eileen Borebank (apparently his only child, from what the article states in this website under his biography). Perhaps she never married, and therefore had no progeny? You may want to contact a registrar in Winnipeg, Manitoba, to see if you can find information on John James Borebank or Eileen Borebank, giving specific dates, such as Eileen Borebank was born approximately in 1904 and apparently in Winnipeg, etc (seeing that JJ lived there with his wife, Isabel, during the time of their daughter's birth). Try this website link: winnipeg.ca/interhom/departments/ Perhaps that may lead you to some possible connection. Search for birth certificates, death certificates, marriage certificates, and e-mail someone giving the fundamental specifics of JJ Borebank and his daughter, Eileen, and what became of JJ in 1912, etc.

I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Mr. Hustak:

Regarding the biography on J.J. Borebank, I am curious as to where you people got your information? J.J. Borebank was my great uncle and I never heard anyone in my family refer to him as "Jack." He always has been called "Johnny." Also the article refers to a brother and sister. There were two brothers and four sisters, although only two of them would have been living at home. Did any of your research indicate if J.J. Borebank was connected to the Grand Trunk Railroad at the time of the sinking? My cousins noted that the President of the Grand Trunk Railroad was also on the ship and we wonder if railroad business was the reason why the president and our great uncle came back, leaving his wife in England? Finally what was Mr. Soldner's, Mr. Merchant's and your contribution to the bio.

Sincerely,

Steve Cummings
Ventura, CA
Well that’s coincidence as I myself am a Bowbanks My father recearched our family tree and to amazement we had a relative by the same name who sailed on the Titanic a first class passenger that was returning from England to Winnipeg Manitoba. Could this mean we are related.

Does anyone know anything about Mr John James Borebank's Canadian side? hanks
Hi Jessica,
I just happened on this thread and do have a bit of information for you. Eileen Borebank, the only child of J.J. Borebank, married a doctor (a radiologist) from Iowa, Cecil Valentine King, and they had a son, born David Bruce King who as an adult in his 40's changed his name to David Valentine King. He was born in Los Angeles in 1942. When he was a small child his parents divorced and his mother moved to New York with David for a period of time before moving back to California and they lived in Laguna Beach. I am not aware that she ever had an occupation but she dabbled in antiques. She had a shop called "Have Fun Too". David attended Pratt Institute in New York and married his first wife on the East coast. He had a daughter with that wife and he and his daughter never had a real relationship. The daughter lives in the northeastern United States. Sorry I don't have contact information for her. You can find information on David by pulling up his obituary online. He died in a plane he was piloting in 2018 on Lopez Island, San Juan Islands, WA. I was married to David from 1966 to 1986 which explains why I have this information. Hope this is helpful to you. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have to be best of my ability. Good luck to you.

Back