Johnstone's Flooding

B-rad

I have a theory that I would like to throw out there dealing with the flooding seen by Steward Johnstone. According to most publications, Johnstone saw the flooding of the mail room around the same time as Boxhall. Boxhall saw the flooding just before Steward Wheat, as Boxhall places it, “...within a couple of feet of G deck, the deck I was standing on. [Q15374]

Wheat would recall during the British inquiry that he was just about to turn in [Q10875], his room being on the 'port side' [Q10883] of 'F deck down by the turkish baths' [Q10882], when he thought the ship 'had cast one of her propeller blades'. [Q10879] He then roused his mate, asking, “...if he had heard any noise, and he said, 'No'.” [Q10890] He then ventured to E deck [Q10891], where he, “...met the night watchman. I think his name is Johnson. He told me she was making water badly forward.” [Q10893]

He then proceeded forward on E deck. [Q10898-89] He would say, “I went down to the Post Office room, which is down on G. You will find a stairway leading from E down to the Post Office and baggage room.' [Q10900] I saw the mail men dragging bags of mail up, which I took to be the registered mail. The water was already on that deck. [Q10910] ...it was just making the stairs then, just making G deck. [Q10914] It was almost flush with G deck when I got on it.” [Q10917] He would place his going to the mail room at, “Ten minutes or a quarter of an hour,” after the accident, [Q10901] or 11:50pm-11:55pm.

Johnstone would state in his testimony that he was in, “The first saloon. I was night watchman; I had charge of the night watch.” [Q3343] He
mistook the deck he was on stating, “No, I took E – what they call the saloon – the reception room and the pantry, on.” [Q3357] These rooms, along with the first class dining saloon (where he confirms he was, in question 3353), were located on D deck, not E.

He would state feeling the impact, and then sending a greaser to go access the situation, with the greaser returning stating, “I think it is a bit hot.” [Q3363] He then spotted Andrews going through the saloon towards the engine room. [Q3376] Three or four minutes later the Captain followed. [Q3371] He then states, “...then I followed Mr. Andrews after he came up from the engine room.” [Q3367] When asked if he followed the Captain, he would state, “No; I waited a minute and followed Mr. Andrews.” [Q3377] Followed by, “Mr. Andrews went through the saloon after this man came and told me it was a bit thick. I followed Mr. Andrews and went down to E deck to see if Duscheck was there. He was down there on watch in that deck. I went down to E deck and saw Mr. Andrews go down by the baggage room or mail room. One door goes down and the other does not.” [Q3378]

So when did Johnston make his way to E deck? Was it after Andrews passed through before the Captain? Is this why Johnston says he didn't follow the Captain, but followed Andrews? This ties nicely with his answer in question 3378. Would Johnston had known that the men were heading towards the engine room if he did not go down to E deck at this time? In the inquiry, a line of questioning would reveal:

3372. Through the saloon you were in?
He had to come down through the stairs to get down to the engine room to get on to E deck; he had to go down through those stairs.
3373. And then he gets into the alleyway and got to the engine room?
Just turn to the left and he is in it.
3374. Did he go in that direction?
I do not know. I know he went down.

What did Johnstone not know? Where they went after heading below E deck, if he in fact witnessed both men heading towards the engine room. Or, did he not know where they went after heading down from D deck, because he stayed on D deck?

In Johnstone's directions of Andrews route to the mail room, he makes it seem that Andrews did in fact come back up to D deck, stating, “It is a little bit farther forward, past the reception room,” which could be in reference to the stairway on D deck leading down to E deck, at roughly forward frame 74, on the starboard side. Would Andrews have went to E deck, and then back up to D, and then back down to E deck, to see the flooded mail room, instead of going down the working alley? Johnstone's answer to question 3367, in which he states, “then I followed Mr. Andrews after he came up from the engine room,” makes this sound plausible.

This is important to know because Johnston would state that he saw Andrews, “...speaking to some ladies, and they were all in a bunch and he said he thought it would be all right. He said, 'Be easy, it will be all right.' I asked him, and he said; 'All right.' [Q3400] …all first class passengers just at the corner of the reception room, down the companion stairs. [Q34001] When I heard him it was just a quarter of an hour after she struck, not much more.[3595]”

Regardless of what route Andrews took, Andrews talking to passengers on D deck, means that Johnstone could not have followed Andrews to the mail room before this 15 minutes, as Andrews himself did not go to the mail room before this 15 minutes. Johnstone states that he went to his room on E deck after seeing the flooding [Q3403], meaning that he did not follow Andrews back up to D deck (if in fact that's what Andrews did), after he saw the flooding. Therefore, there is no reason to believe that Johnstone saw Andrews speaking to these passengers after both witnessed flooding in the mail room.

In all, two sets of scenarios develop. The first one has Johnstone seeing Andrews go to E deck. He sees Captain Smith going the same route. He apparently assumes Andrews and the Captain head towards the engine room once they make there way down from D to E deck. Johnstone remains on D deck. Andrews comes back up to D deck and talks to the passengers. Andrews heads toward the stairway at roughly forward frame 74. Johnstone follows a minute later. He sees Andrews head towards the mail room via the two stairways on E deck between forward frames 73 – 81, on the starboard side. This is taken from his statement, “I went down to E deck and saw Andrews go down by the baggage room or mail room. One door goes down and the other does not.” [Q3378] I do not know if there are doors on E deck to these stairwells, but there is a door located on the bottom of the stairway going down, onto F deck. It is important to note that Johnstone states that he saw Andrews go into the mail room, and not that he followed him into the mail room.

Johnstone looks for Mr. Dodd (or Duscheck?). Sometime, most likely very soon, after following Andrews down to E deck, Wheat runs into Johnstone. This is right after the 'quarter of an hour' Johnstone said he saw Andrews talking to the passengers, which is close enough to Wheat's maximum estimate of 15 minutes; give or take on both accounts.

Johnstone would relay a different conversation happening between him and Wheat, one that has no mention of flooding. Johnstone would state, “...he [Wheat] said, 'What is it?' I said, 'I think it is a bit serious.'” [Q3397] This is the same nature of message Johnstone got from the greaser. Along with this, seeing Andrews and the Captain go below, it would be obvious that the situation was not good. Possibly having seen Andrews head towards the mail room, Johnston makes mention of something forward, which is what prompts Wheat to go forward, and later Johnstone himself, being that both men thought the ship had lost a propeller blade.

The other scenario would be Johnstone seeing Andrews talk to the passengers and head down to E deck. After a minute Johnstone makes his way down to E deck. Sees the captain come down the same route. He sees Andrews and the Captain head towards the engine room. He looks for Mr. Dodd (or Duscheck?) He the sees Andrews come back up and head towards the mail room, past where the reception room would be on D deck, and goes to the two stairways on E deck between forward frames 73 – 81, on the starboard side.

Sometime, most likely very soon, after following Andrews down to E deck, Wheat runs into Johnstone. This being right after the 'quarter of an hour' Johnstone said he saw Andrews talking to the passengers, it is close enough to Wheat's max estimate of 15 minutes, give or take on both accounts.

Johnstone would relay a different conversation happening between him and Wheat, one that has no mention of flooding. Johnstone would state, “...he [Wheat] said, 'What is it?' I said, 'I think it is a bit serious.'” [Q3397] This is the same nature of message Johnstone got from the greaser. Along with this, Johnstone seeing Andrews and the Captain go below, it would be obvious that the situation would not have been good. The only obvious question then becomes, why did Wheat go forward if he thought it was a propeller blade? Did Andrews go to the mail room first? This would put it past the quarter of an hour mark.

Things get confusing within Johnstone's testimony when he claims that the 'baggage room' (as suggested by the committee), [Q3385] and/or the 'mail room' [Q3393] (as he suggests and complies with when stating, “Well, they were handling mails or something; when I looked there was water there then.”), [Q3384] was on F deck, and not G deck. He would also make the claim that the squash court was only one deck high (F deck), while, in fact, the squash court cut through both F and G deck. Johnstone, it seems, was unfamiliar with this part of the ship, for when asked rather or not the 1st class baggage room was on G deck, he would state, “No, I do not think so. I never went further than that, and I think it was in that.” [Q3390]

We do know that the mail clerks were removing mail to higher grounds during the sinking, in the vain attempt to save it. It also seems apparent that Johnstone was on E deck looking down the stairs when he saw the flooding. From there he could see the squash court, and knowing at least that the mail room was next to the squash court, and thinking the squash court was one deck high, he possibly could have believed he was looking into the mail room. If this is so, than that places the flooding he saw to be around F deck.

Johnstone when asked how long it was after the shock that he saw the water, would state, “I went down to call the second steward, Mr. Dodd I took plenty of time and it must have been a good twenty-five minutes after I met Mr. Wheat coming up...” [3397] If Wheat went immediately forward to the post office, and this was 10 to 15 minutes (11:50 – 11:55) after the collision, than 25 minutes after meeting Wheat, would place Johnstone's sighting of the flooding around 12:15-12:20. This is 35-40 minutes after the collision. If Johnston saw water on F deck, than this is close to Robinson's testimony that water was 6 steps to E deck, though Johnstone's time estimates are obviously 5 to 10 minutes after Robinson's estimates, and Robinson obviously saw water much higher than what Johnstone's testimony possibly allows.

Therefore, the question is, could Johnstone have seen flooding later than previously believed? It is important to note that the Committee claimed the flooding occurred lower, around G deck, not Johnstone, who holds out that it was higher, on F deck.

Therefore, the question is, could Johnstone have seen flooding later than previously believed? It is important to note that the Committee claimed the flooding occurred lower, around G deck, not Johnstone, who holds out that it was higher, on F deck.

I do not know what is "previously believed". We know from Robinson that she saw Smith and Andrews returning from the mail room (if my memory is right) which would be roughly about 12:10 to 12:15 a.m. If I am not mistaken Cunningham must have looked about that time too down to the mail room seeing the water on F Deck.
I know some of Johnson testimony is confusing and does not fit well with others. On the other side hardly anyone would have looked on his watch taking the time. He was on the night watch on D Deck but also had been partly down on E Deck and I think there is where he met Wheat who saw the water in the mail room coming up G Deck.

Johnson was before Wheat in the mail room as it was him who told Wheat "I think it is a bit serious" (Q. 3397-3399).
Johnson most likely was mistaken and saw the water on G Deck. Here is the part when he was asked in detail about which deck it was.

3394. The baggage room and mail room are on this deck. Come and look at the plan and then we shall not quarrel. We had better understand it once for all.
(The Witness examined the plan with the learned Counsel.)
The Commissioner: Which deck is it?
Mr. Rowlatt: G.
The Commissioner: Very well.
3395. (Mr. Rowlatt.) You looked into the baggage room? - No, I looked down the stairs.
3396. You saw into it, and saw there was water there? - Yes.

Andrews seems to had been walking around so we do not know exactly when he was talking to the ladies which Johnson said. Also he himself took some time off. It looks Andrews went at last two times to the flooding mail room, the first time he was followed by Johnson and the next time he was there with Captain Smith as mentioned by Robinson.

Thanks as always for the reply (& happy new Year)

Maybe I should have written 'as believed' instead of using the word 'previously'. Someday I shall be rich & have someone edit my posts! (LOL) Until then (or than?).... What I meant is exactly what was written in your rebuttal; Johnstone seeing flooding on G deck, before Wheat saw it. I propose that Johnston saw flooding on F deck, around 25 minutes after meeting Wheat, and around the 1/2hr mark, like Robinson.

Robinson states that she saw McElroy, Captain Smith and the mailman going to the mail room. [Q13283] She actually never says Andrews was with the Captain; only the interrogator suggests this in his questioning, "It was seeing the Captain and Mr. Andrews going to the mail room that made you go there?" To which she answered, "I followed after they had come back." [Q13283] She would state that, "I saw two mail-bags and a man's Gladstone bag, and on looking down the staircase I saw water within six steps of coming on to E deck. [Q13277] About half-an-hour after she struck." [Q13280]

She later sees Andrews:

13290. Did Mr. Andrews tell you anything else?

- Yes. Mr. Andrews told me to put my lifebelt on after I had been on E deck.

13291. Did he say something to you about blankets?

- We had already got the blankets and the lifebelts out of the rooms which were unoccupied at the foot of the staircase. Mr. Andrews said to me, "put your lifebelt on and walk about and let the passengers see you." I said to him, "It looks rather mean," and he said, "No, put it on," and then after that he said to me, "Well, if you value your life put your belt on."

13304. Can you state at what time it was when Mr. Andrews said to you, "if you value your life put your lifebelt on"?

- It was about half-an-hour when I saw the water on the deck, and I should say it would be about a quarter of an hour after that.

13305. About three-quarters of an hour after the collision you mean?

- Yes.

Cunningham sees water at the F deck level. He does not state a time for seeing this. He merely states, "There was another bell rung, and I came up and answered it. ...About half-past 12 all the stateroom stewards came on duty again, to their respective stations. I went back to my own station on C deck, and my passengers had then been aroused." Therefore, the only thing we know, is his sighting of flooding came before 12:30.

We do know when Andrews talked to the ladies, as Johnstone gives us the time:

3595. You did hear Mr. Andrews make these reassuring comments to the ladies?

- When I heard him it was just a quarter of an hour after she struck, not much more.

In Laura Francatelli's letter (http://paullee.com/titanic/lfrancatelli.html) she states, "I still stood there quite 20 minutes, or more, saw all the officers come down, to inspect the damage, & then starting screwing down the iron doors outside my bedroom..." The men 'screwing down the iron doors' could have been Wheat, Dodd and Crosby. [Q10927] This 20 minutes time, that Francatelli gives for seeing all this, is close to Wheat's timeline. He see the water around 10-15 minutes after the collision. No more 'than five or six minutes' later [Q10937], he is closing watertight doors. Therefore, we know that Wheat's times are pretty good, not that they were really in question.

Of course I know that the times people give are more estimates than anything else, so one should allow at least some wiggle room, and not take all statements of time as concrete.

Thanks again!

Thanks as always for the reply (& happy new Year)

Happy New Year for you too!

I was writing by memory about stewardess Robinson. I would need to look if she might have mentioned it in one of the newspapers that she saw Smith and Andrews coming back. But notice that she did not correct the question that it was Andrews. That is because she might have mentioned it in her deposition on which parts of the questions were build up. (We know it from other crew members too.)
Cunningham mentioned the water at F Deck level meaning this can not have been much later as Robinson did.

Aside from Francatelli there were at last 2 others who made similar observations. Mr. Chambers was one of them who had been also on E Deck (E 8) and after a look on the boat deck and returning to the cabin he stated;
"Upon returning to the stateroom for the purpose of completing dressing, I looked at the starboard end of our passage, where there was the companion leading to the quarters of the mail clerks and farther on to the baggage room and, I believe, the mail-sorting room, at the top of these stairs I found a couple of mail clerks wet to their knees, who had just come up from below, bringing their registered mail bags. As the door in the bulkhead in the next deck was open, I was able to look directly into the trunk room, which was then filled with water, and was within 18 inches or 2 feet of the deck above.
We were standing there joking about our baggage being completely soaked and about the correspondence which was seen floating about on the top of the water. I personally felt no sense of danger, as this water was forward of the bulkhead.
While we were standing there three of the ship's officers - I did not notice their rank or department - descended the first companion and looked into the baggage room, coming back up immediately, saying that we were not making any more water. This was not an announcement, but merely a remark passed from one to the other."
That is from the US Senate Inquiry. For the others I would need to look when more time. As you notice the timing fit better with what Wheat said.

Thanks Ioannis, I 100% agree that it is possible that Robinson stated that she saw Andrews in her disposition, and that's why she did not correct the question. However, if you still find an article saying that she did see Andrews at the mail room, I would love to know about it. I hope some day these deposition are found, if they weren't tossed away.

Trying to clarify; wondering what others think.

Johnstone states that he saw Andrews come down the Frwd. 1st class staircase. He states that Andrews went to the engine room and sees Smith directly follow. [BI 3367]

He states that Andrews just had to turn left and he is in it. [BI 3373]

This would be the path of the red arrows. I highlighted two areas on the attached plan, one in purple one in red. The purple is the Engineer's entrance, and the red doors lead to catwalks I'm guessing? I may be wrong, and I'd greatly appreciate someone correcting me if so.

We know from Mackay [BI 10692-97], that he believed the captain went to Bell's room, which means he must have went down the purple staircase.

However, it is unclear if Johnstone even saw this as he states he did not know if they went in that direction, only that they went down. [BI 3374] Does he mean that he only knows they went down the 1st class staircase, and possibly they took a right through the door into the working alley?

He said that he waited a minute and followed Andrews and not the captain. [BI 3377] The captain followed Andrews 3 or 4 minutes later. [BI 3371] This must mean that he was on E deck when the Captain came down.

He states that he followed Andrews after he came up from the engine room. [BI 3367] Possibly seeing Andrews come up from the engine room is how he knows they went down, though it doesn't answer why he didn't know they went in that direction. However, he would then state, “I went down to E deck and saw Mr. Andrews go down by the baggage room or mail room. One door goes down and the other does not.” [BI 3377]

According to what we pieced together so far, is that Johnstone followed Andrews down to E deck, and the Captain followed. Apparently both men went towards the engine room. The above statement though makes it sound like Johnstone followed Andrews to E deck and Andrews went straight to the mail room, not the engine room.

So which came first? The engine room or the mail room?

Did Johnstone see Andrews go below, with the Captain following, and assumed both men went to the engine room, while he stayed on D deck. Then he saw Andrews again, and then followed him to the mail room.

If so, than how did Johnstone see Andrews go to the mail room from D deck? Did he cross over by the stairs taking route A (in brown arrows on the plan). This plan though shows a possible bulkhead (highlighted in yellow) that would have prevented this route. Was there a bulkhead here?

Or did Andrews take route B? If Johnstone followed Andrews to E deck before Andrews possibly went to the engine room, and stayed in the working alley, and then followed Andrews to the mail room, than either A or B could have occurred. (If there is no bulkhead in route A)

Johnstone says that he saw Andrews go to the mail room, stating, “One door goes down and the other does not.” [BI 3377] The stairwell highlight in blue, is the stairwell to the mail room. What does he mean by door going up, and the other does not?

Robinson says that she saw Capt. Smith, McElroy and mail clerk Smith go in the direction of the mail room. I'm assuming here that this is the same time Johnstone saw Capt. Smith heading below. If it is, would Smith have gone straight to the engine room? Or would he have gone to look at the damage stated by the mail clerk first, and then head to the engine room? It would seem strange to head below, have McElroy & the mail clerk sit back while he headed to the engine room, and then come back up.

Johnstone never states seeing Smith come up from the engine room. If both Smith & Andrews headed to the mail room after the engine room, than why would they have gone to the mail room separately. Perhaps when Johnstone states that Smith directly followed Andrews down [BI 3375], Johnstone just meant that Smith followed Andrews directly down to E deck, and not directly down to the engine room. Perhaps Andrews went to the engine room, and Smith to the mail room. Hence, when Johnstone went below he didn't follow Smith, he followed Andrews.

Then, some how knowing Smith went to the mail room, or maybe just by coincidence, Andrews and Smith meet up at the mail room as Weikman & perhaps Chambers saw. After this, Smith heads to the engine room (as Mackay saw) after passing by Robinson's room? This would put Smith in the engine room around 12:10, the same time Dillion would hear the orders to open the watertight doors.

Which leads to another question. Where was Robinson & Johnstone's quarters on the plan?

Food for Thought!

E deck.jpgE deck.jpg

E deck.jpg

I believe that when Johnstone says Duscheck, he possibly meant Goshawk, and the stenographer possibly miss typed it not knowing

Back