JP Morgan's Titanic suite

Nikki

I know there was a suite reserved for JP Morgan, but did he ever actually travel on the Titanic? If he didn't what was the reason? My teacher and I are getting in this argument about this man. Please help me out on this one.

John Pierpont Morgan never sailed on Titanic. He first booked parlor suite B.52/54/56. When he cancelled his trip, the suite was attributed to Mr and Mrs J. Horace Harding, a whealthy American couple. Harding cancelled too and, after that, J. Bruce Ismay take the cabins, embarking on Titanic at Southampton. J.P Morgan did not sailed because he affirmed that he was sick. He was in perfect health, and
went to Paris to join his french mistress! I trust these infos will be helpful,

Charles

Hi!

There was a conspiracy about why Mr Morgan never travelled on the Titanic. He did say he was sick, but in fact wasn't.

The B52-54-56 suite actually endure about 4 cancellations (including Morgan), untill it was finally booked for Mr Ismay on the Monday or Tuesday before the sailing day (Wednesday).

Daniel.

I think that an interesting question to ask on the subject of J.P. Morgan is whether "if" Morgan had traveled on the Titanic - - does anyone out there think he would have gone down with the ship? I, for one, think not. First, the fact he missed it shows the hand of fate favored him. Further, fate seems to cater to such types, i.e., wealthy robber-baron monopolists, or evil doers. These types seem to have their own place mapped out in history. Just like Adolf Hitler didn't die in 1944 when conspirators planted a bomb, because it just wasn't his time yet, guys like Morgan somehow seem to push it out to the "bitter end." Further, from what I know about Morgan, he wasn't the philanthropic, inventor, or other type, such as J. J. Astor. He wasn't a man devoted to his marriage or family, such as the Strausses or Ryersons were. Morgan was just a huge moneymaker. His Life was about living on, making and controlling wealth, and he was the quintessential capatalist. For someone so devoted to acquiring power and wealth, "honor," or "women and children first" would mean little. He was all about using some other fool's honor. As a behind-the-scenes manipulator, I doubt that he cared at all what society thought of him. Consequently, he wouldn't have suffered like Ismay did from the public's shunning him as a coward. So, one way or another I think he would have managed to get in a lifeboat, and survive the Titanic's sinking.

That is generally stated that the one was designed for J.P.Morgan but the Spring 1912 Issue of the Shipbuilder (as a few other sources) describing the suites had no mention about it.
It would have been B 52-54-56. After it was booked by 2 other people who then cancelled it was occupied by J. B. Ismay.

This is just some more movie nonsense from the 1997 "Titanic".......No doubt that the set was an accurate replication , but this was the suite occupied by none other than the "Caledon Hockley" party. LOL

I don"t recall any refeference or mention to J.Bruce Ismay's location in the movie.

And also the Astor's were shown as emerging from an inside cabin in the 1953 "Titanic."

Last edited:
This is just some more movie nonsense from the 1997 "Titanic".......No doubt that the set was an accurate replication , but this was the suite occupied by none other than the "Caledon Hockley" party. LOL

Yes and no, the rooms while wonderful recreated were actually of different rooms. The sitting room was actually C 55, the fireplace in it a mixture of the C 55 & B 51 fireplace. Rose bedroom was based on B 59 and Ruths or Cals Bedroom looks more like B 58.

Last edited:
Also a "Yes and No". While the deco of the rooms might have been different, I believe that in the dialogue, Cal does mention "B-52-54-56" as the safe is being wheeled in on a dolly and Rose is looking at the paintings in the room .

In ANTR , Ismay is shown in a bed, but the cabin number is not identified.

In the much maligned 1953 "Titanic" movie, J. Bruce Ismay and Thomas Andrews are not even in the cast, nor are they even mentioned. A "Mr. Sanderson" visits Captain Smith on the bridge just before the ship gets underway from Southampton, remarks about the quality of the tea they are enjoying, and Captain Smith gets a parcel from his old first Captain with the flag from his first ship "The Star Of Madagascar" and has it hoisted up the mainmast.......

You have to chalk up a lot of things like this in the movies to "literary license." LOL.

Last edited:
Also a "Yes and No". While the deco of the rooms might have been different, I believe that in the dialogue, Cal does mention "B-52-54-56" as the safe is being wheeled in on a dolly and Rose is looking at the paintings in the room ?

Yes thy did have the suite B 52-54-56 but it is only the promenade which look like aboard. The sitting room is based on C 55 (the one the Strauss couple occupied). There are no known photographs of the bedrooms that is why they used the style of B 59 for Rose and B 58 for Cal.

Thanks very much for the interesting details !
As a very in-expert Titanic fan and a person who served in the Navy for four years but never claimed to have been "a real sailor", this website is a never ending source of education and information for facts from the more expert and better informed members of this website !
Thanks again to you and all the others !
Cheers !
Robert

Back