Lady Marjorie Bellamy

Hi
As i have said in previous posts, i am very interested in all aspects of the late Vicotrian/early Edwardian age. And as such, i have bought quite alot of drama and film videos and DVDs based on that age.
One of my favourites is Upstairs Downstairs. I was first introduced to this TV Drama in 2001 when i bought the first series on Video. Since then i bought every series on Video including the missing black and white episodes.
Im sure most of you reading this post will remember Upstairs Downstairs, so i wont go into detail as to what it was.
My favourite episode was a mixture of emotions for me, excitement because Lady Marjorie was embarking on a journey on Titanic, Fear, because she was travelling alone, and Sadness because she does not survive and according to her ladies maid who survives, Lady Marjorie gave her life up for someone else to survive.

Good evening, your Lordship. Since the good Lady and yourself are fictional characters, is there a real person you would like to discuss here in the passenger research section?
wink.gif

Seriously, you will find threads related to your favourite show in the 'Titanic on TV' section. Enjoy.

Good point, Bob. And on that note, I think I might shift this thread out of 'Passengers', lest it be joined by the de Witt Bukaters and Margaret Ann Brady.

Hugo, you'll probably find that many others who would be delighted to discuss this episode of the very popular series.

Not at all, Hugo - just some advice combined with a little good-natured humour. Sorry if you saw it differently, but be assured that no offence was intended.

Hugo,

As Bob said, his and Inger's posts were just injecting some humour into the discussion. I know both of them well, not only from this board, but through the e-mail and they definitely wouldn't post anything offensive.

Hey Jason!
Yea, i agree, i shouldnt have got so angry like that.
And on that note (drums please) I want to introduce the real Lord Southwold....LOL
Im Gary James Bell, im 20 and from Hertfordshire,England.

No worries Hugo - Bob's explained his post, and I was light-hearted about it because I didn't want to seem too abrupt in moving your post and explaining why it was being moved (i.e. we don't need to set a precendent for the discussion of fictional Titanic figures under the 'Passenger' folder). As I also noted, I'm sure other folks share your enthusiasm for Upstairs/Downstairs - I believe its been mentioned before on the board. You're more likely to get a better response under the appropriate topic header.

Hi Hugo.

I, too, remember watching "Upstairs Downstairs", in the 1970s, though my family first watched the World War I episodes. My mom, though, remembered some of our neighbors who watched the earlier episodes saying how they could not believe that Lady Marjorie's character was killed off, and that the show would not be the same without her.

Actually, as we know, it was the late Rachel Gurney's decision to leave the show that prompted Lady Marjorie's death, and it was a defining moment for the family, as she left the family money in control of son James; his losing the family fortune in the 1929 stock market crash led to the end of the family saga (his debts were repaid when Eaton Place was auctioned off).

We later saw the show in repeats, and watched the episodes where Lady Marjorie's death was confirmed. It was mentioned that Lady Marjory went off to help a young girl find her mother, and, during that time, Miss Roberts, her lady's maid, was placed in a lifeboat, and watched the ship sink while crying out "We've got to go back for my lady!!".

BTW, I still remember the first time I heard about Lady Marjorie's death, in the 2nd to last episode of the last season: James, having returned from the US, was talking about the crossings, and he mentioned to his cousin Georgina (who also lost her mother on the Titanic) how he thought of Lady Marjory, when James mentioned "looking out at the Ocean, and thinking about her, 'down there'". It was quite a moving moment.

I posted about this a few times on the "Titanic on TV" thread.

Gavin wrote:
.......but they also got their facts wrong too. In a WWI episode they refer to the Lucy as a White Star ship.......

At the risk of starting something quite misplaced, how did the Lucy enter Upstairs Downstairs?
I don't recall it.

thanks

Martin

.....well, Hudson was reading the paper downstairs (where else?), the Daily Mirror I seem to reall, and it was there and he made reference to that tragedy and, of course, the sinking fitted well with his own views of the real villians in the war....

I quite agree with your last comments. I recommend you go view the episode yourself (one of the WWI shows obviously) so that nothing quite misplaced is started.....

I think Hudson was referring to the sinking of the Lusitania. Hudson never liked Germans right from the start, and the sinking of Lusitania only reinforced his anti-german views, and infact probably made them worse.
I might be wrong about the 'Lucy' however, because having watched the programme again, he does correctly state the Cunard Vessel Lusitania.

Back