Letter from Fraser's daughter

Florence Stephen was a great-ant of mine, and was known in the family as 'Dimples' - obviously a childhood nickname. She lived long enough to meet my own daughter. Today I visited the Titanic exhibition in Belfast and was thrilled to find this information, and the photo, of James. Dimples told us of their move to Southampton from Scotland, how their mother had brought them up alone, trying always to keep them away from the sea, adding to the tragic irony of the second drowning.

Florence Stephen was a great-ant of mine, and was known in the family as 'Dimples' - obviously a childhood nickname. She lived long enough to meet my own daughter. Today I visited the Titanic exhibition in Belfast and was thrilled to find this information, and the photo, of James. Dimples told us of their move to Southampton from Scotland, how their mother had brought them up alone, trying always to keep them away from the sea, adding to the tragic irony of the second drowning.
Hello Margaret, Florence was my mum’s cousin on her father’s side, and we only recently learned more about James and of his family’s existence. So lovely to read your comments. If there’s any way we can make contact I would so love to hear the stories she told you.
best wishes
Isla

Back