Lifeboat

Scott,

Google will help you in this regard; or any 'old-fashioned' paper dictionary for that matter. One definition of 'lifeboat' and associated information that I found via a quick Google search is this one.

It's important to differentiate between lifeboats carried aboard ships, for use if the ship - or another close-by ship - needs to be abandoned, and those land-based lifeboats that attempt to rescue mariners in distress. Completely different beasts! I am sure there have been many occasions when a lifeboat (land-based) has had to rescue people marooned in lifeboats (ship-based).

>>What is a lifeboat?<<

The court of very last resort as far as any mariner is concerned. The link that Paul provided is a good one which describes it's function. Since it's generally safer to stay with the ship as opposed to taking one's chances on the open ocean, they only time they're used is to either recover somebody who has fallen overboard or to offer a "safe" haven if it becomes necessery to evacuate the ship.

On reflection, the Wikepedia link will more than adequately inform Scott, wherever he may be.

I'll just add that notwithstanding the active interest in lifesaving based on Bamburgh under the auspices of the Duke of Northumberland in the previous century, the boat used by Grace Darling in the celebrated Forfarshire rescue of 1838 was a standard East Coast coble. You can see Bamburgh castle from the Farne Islands - on a good day, that is.

Noel

When reading the Inquiry testimonies, it's as well to keep in mind that witnesses like Lightoller were very precise in using the term 'lifeboat' only in reference to the 16 full-sized wooden lifeboats, as opposed to 'emergency boats' and 'collapsible boats' (NB: not 'collapsible lifeboats'). This can lead to misunderstanding, when taken out of context, of exchanges like: "Then did you see to the loading of any others on the port side?" "I went forward. The last lifeboat for me to load on the port side was No 4 from A deck".

Very good point Bob. In which case it should be pointed out that in today's world of modern cruise ships they don't necessarily carry enough lifeboats for all on board, Cruise Ship Consumer Fact Sheet

Note: Passengers need not be alarmed if they discover that the total number of person's on board a cruise ship (passengers + crew) exceeds the total capacity of the ship's lifeboats. Modern cruise ships carry a variety of survival craft. Passengers are invariably assigned to lifeboats or similar survival craft. The total capacity of all the survival craft on board will exceed the total number of persons on the vessel.

I can now see how they would have written this consumer fact sheet for those sailing on steamers before April 14th 1912:

Note: Passengers need not be alarmed if they discover that the total number of person's on board the vessel (passengers + crew) exceeds the total capacity of the ship's lifeboats. The intent of the lifeboats are for the safe transfer of passengers to other vessels in the unlikely event of an accident. Modern steamers are designed to be practically unsinkable and carry a variety of life saving equipment, including individual life preservers and other floatation devices that exceed the total number of persons on board the vessel. Life preservers are located in all passenger cabins and staterooms, and assistance in putting on these devices will be provided, if necessary, by your room steward.

Did I say 16 full-sized lifeboats? Just testing you, folks! There were of course 14. But Lightoller himself seemed to be momentarily unsure of that at the New York Inquiry:

How many lifeboats were there?
Sixteen.
All of the same type?
Consisting of 14 lifeboats, 2 emergency boats, and 4 collapsible boats.

Presumably Lightoller's arithmetic was better than mine, and the first figure he gave was to emphasize that the ship was equipped with the number of boats required by BoT regulations, even though not all of them were lifeboats as such. The reports from both the US and British Inquiries state that Titanic had 20 boats, of which 14 were lifeboats. The British Inquiry maintains this distinction by giving the overall capacity of all 20 boats as 'total boat accommodation', while the Senate Report includes all 20 in the 'total lifeboat capacity' (my italics).

Sorry folks.This a custom Scott Lackie welcome joke he does.Anyhow Scott`s off to Florida for two weeks, though he has a few interesting Questions about the Titanic.Especially about Scottish people aboard it.Anyhow I`ll keep a good eye on my 18 year old friend.

But it was a good question.
happy.gif

Back