Lightoller testimony about a couple

D_F

Hello all!

I'm researching about a couple from the Western States that Lightoller mentioned in his testimonies. They were from Second Class. When he asked the girl if he could put her into a lifeboat, she refused. I think I know who they were, but he mentioned he found them sitting on a fan casing, and I would like to know where would this be? I haven't found any suitable places on the Boat Deck to sit on a fan casing. So, I was wondering if he meant any of the other decks, perhaps? I don't know if this is a fan casing on B deck. By Beesley's book we know that they boarded several boats from other decks.

IMG_20211108_171653.jpg

Is this a fan casing on B Deck?

Thank you!

I think I know who they were, but he mentioned he found them sitting on a fan casing, and I would like to know where would this be? I haven't found any suitable places on the Boat Deck to sit on a fan casing. So, I was wondering if he meant any of the other decks, perhaps? I don't know if this is a fan casing on B deck. By Beesley's book we know that they boarded several boats from other decks.
Second officer Lightoller perhaps referred to them sitting on the casing of a Sirocco ventilator on the boat deck, as in the steel casing that surrounded one of the twenty-one exterior ventilators. As far as I am aware Lightoller only went down to A-deck, and the only exterior ventilator on A-deck was located on the port side near the aft-mast.
Is this a fan casing on B Deck?
1636392491911.jpg

The object zoomed in here isn't a fan casing, it is the coaming and top of the number four cargo hatch. There were two identical cargo hatches numbered four, one on the starboard side as seen here and one on the port side. This cargo hatch was 8 feet and 11 inches in length and 6 feet and 5 and a half inches in breadth. This hatch went down from B-deck to G-deck, at the store rooms of the first and second galley and pantries. There was a store entrance on E-deck as well with a portable gate that separated the entrance from the trunk of the hatches.

Second officer Lightoller perhaps referred to them sitting on the casing of a Sirocco ventilator on the boat deck, as in the steel casing that surrounded one of the twenty-one exterior ventilators. As far as I am aware Lightoller only went down to A-deck, and the only exterior ventilator on A-deck was located on the port side near the aft-mast.

View attachment 77909
The object zoomed in here isn't a fan casing, it is the coaming and top of the number four cargo hatch. There were two identical cargo hatches numbered four, one on the starboard side as seen here and one on the port side. This cargo hatch was 8 feet and 11 inches in length and 6 feet and 5 and a half inches in breadth. This hatch went down from B-deck to G-deck, at the store rooms of the first and second galley and pantries. There was a store entrance on E-deck as well with a portable gate that separated the entrance from the trunk of the hatches.

Wow this was a fast reply! Thanks so much, Thomas! ☺️

Back