Lightoller's Bravery During the Early Hours of 15 April 1912

It seems to me HM's Gov't in 1912 was remiss in allowing Lightoller's decisive actions and behaviour to go unrecognized officially. I may be wrong but wasn't it Lightoller who extracted the order from Capt. Smith to begin the evacuation? It seems to me also that Lightoller more or less fell into taking charge of the evacuation from the uncovering of the boats to the heave-hoing of Collapsible A from the roof of the Officer's (?) quarters.

But what has resonated for the past few days is that those who survived the sinking and were able to stand on the upended Collapsible B until they were transferred to another lifeboat, owed their lives to Lightoller.

So my question is why wasn't he honoured w/an MBE or an OBE? It beggars belief.

My apologies if my facts of who did what are incorrect. It's not that I am too lazy to look up the information, but that I spent the better part of 5 days searching for a CDR that I had in my hands a matter of weeks ago & have been unable to locate it. I know, I know... 'typical guy excuse..."

It seems to me HM's Gov't in 1912 was remiss in allowing Lightoller's decisive actions and behaviour to go unrecognized officially. I may be wrong but wasn't it Lightoller who extracted the order from Capt. Smith to begin the evacuation?

Jim, FACTS are never a kill-joy. I tap-tap-tapped out as much of a finished thought as I could. And thanks for putting things in order. I can now stop thinking about this. Maybe you should the *BE from HM's gov't in the New Year's Honours...?

Jim, I totally agree the biggest candidate for the heroism award out of the officers would be Harry Lowe, as he was the only one to come back.... Lights'"flaw" was that he allowed women and children ONLY into half filled boats, while Will Murdoch allowed men in, too.

If it weren't for 4/O Boxhall getting those green flares put into boat #2, it is likely that nobody would have been rescued since rescue vessels were headed to a position 13 miles away from where the ship sank; a so called "corrected" position that was worked up by Boxhall himself.

If Lights had put any more passengers into those half-filled boats, they would have been more women and children.

I'm curious abut your "sounding spar" observation Jules. I presume you mean the boom used to deploy the wire of the patent sounding machine? If so, then this would not have been any hindrance to the lowering of a boat if properly stowed which it would most certainly have been when at sea.

Jim C.

It may have been in The Night Lives On -- I'm sure Lord talks about Captain Smith ordering #4 loaded from the promenade deck, forgetting about Titanic's windows and the delay getting them "Opened". It just mentions a " sounding spar" which had to be cleared away. I took that to be along the lines of what you described. Lifeboat lowering being a somewhat delicate process, if there were any chance of interference, it would have been safer to clear it rather than spill the passengers.

I'll see if I can track it down. Thanks for the comment.

Jules

Sounding Spar in the way of lowering Boat 4

I've been lookiing for the source of my statement last month, and finally found it. In A Night To Remember rather than The Night Lives On, as I said a couple of weeks ago, Lord writes:
Pages 66 ----- Only two more boats. One of them, No. 4, had been a headache all night. Over an hour ago, Lightoller lowered it to A Deck planning to load it from there, but the windows were all closed. Then someone noticed the Titanic's sounding spar was stuck out directly below the boat. Seaman Sam Parks and Storekeeper Jack Foley went down to chop it away, but they had trouble finding an ax. ...​

Lightoller moved on while the ax was being found and chopped away. He returned to No. 4 at 1:45 to begin the loading.

That's all I have on it.

Jules