Lusitania An Irish Tragedy by Senan Molony

Inger Sheil

The earliest copies of Lusitania: An Irish Tragedy have arrived at the Molony residence, and the author seems quite pleased with the end result. Scan of the cover looks tremendous! I'm looking forward to getting a copy down under - Sen showed me some of the images he was going to use when I was last in Dublin, and they were fascinating.

The book explores the Irish connections with the tragedy, including the role of the fishermen and other locals who assisted in the rescue and recovery efforts.

I note that it can be ordered through Amazon UK. For anyone chasing it, these are the details:
Hardcover 192 pages (October 2004)
Publisher: Mercier Press
ISBN: 1856354520

Ahhhhhh....found it and ordered it.
grin.gif

Thanks for the heads up, Ing! Have just ordered a copy. Sen gave me the lowdown on his Lusitania research at last year's BTS Convention. I look forward to seeing the fruits of his labour!

Best Regards,
Ben

No worries, guys - I've even had some folks who are not usually involved in maritime history express interest in this title. Sen often explores cultural and social aspects with reference to Irish history in his work, so I'm particularly intrigued by that angle. I'll make sure I've read it before the next visit to Cobh!

>>"The book explores the Irish connections with the tragedy, including the role of the fishermen and other locals who assisted in the rescue and recovery efforts. " <<

ooo, I think I need this!
wonder if my libr will get it, they're usually very good about getting new, even not widely out, books that can help research, but I think I just need to get it too, will see if I can get it here as Uk shipping (ha, pun, shipping, ships?) would be more;
but THX for the heads up for to look for this thing!
I knew! there was a reason I'm on this board ;)
happy.gif

{need more smilies!}
I need as much as possible on the after-wreck, the survivors helped into shore and remains recovery too, Kinsale, Queenstown, etc

Thanks for the info. I have placed an order with Amazon. Due here 12 dec.

Has anyone got a copy already? I would greatly appreciate reading a review if possible.

thanks

Martin

I got my copy last week, It just showed up in the mail and without any notice from Amazon.uk that my copy had even shipped. I've not had a chance to do more then leaf through it, but if what I saw is any indication, then it's the usual thorough and well researched job that is Senan Molony's trademark.

You won't be disappointed.

I've just finished reading Senan's new work, EXCELLENT! For anyone remotely interested in the Irish aspect of the Lusitania tragedy this is the book for you. With Christmas to arrive shortly start dropping "hints" for your gift or, if you can't wait that long treat yourself to an early Christmas present now. You won't be disappointed.
Well done Senan, yet another "winner"

Regards

Dave

Please tell...

What are the photo's Like?
Are there any good shoots of the vessels that went out: Bluebell, Flying Fish, Kezia Guilt etc?
Any shots of Kinsale head from 11 miles out?

How did the sinking effect politics in Ireland i.e. The Fenians(how did they view it?) I'm sure the ordinary folk , esp those in the area, would have been devastated by what happened on their doorstep.

Martin

Martin,
Photo's excellent considering when originals were taken.
Yes, fairly good shots of vessels that went to the rescue including eye witness accounts of crew from each vessel
Only shot of Old head of Kinsale from 12 miles out is the usual one with the Lusitania passing.
As for how the sinking affected politics here in Ireland all I can say is BUY THE BOOK and formulate your own opinion

Dave

Back