Lusitania: Dorothy Taylor

Hey , I have a question. The documentary movie I watched on the lusitania showed a first class woman named Dorothy Taylor who played in the ship's first class lounge died and got trapped in the elevators. I have a few questions.

1) When Dorothy Taylor drowned in the elevators, did anyone survive?
2)Did the elevators really become "death traps"
3) Did Dorothy Taylor even exist on the ship?

>Well Vanderbilt had traveled with someone if I'm not wrong, any women who were celebs who died traveling w hin

He traveled with his manservant, Ronald Denyer. His close friend Charles Williamson, who helped hush up Vanderbilt's girlfriend's suicide a few years previously, was aboard with his girlfriend Amelia Baker. Vanderbilt, in no account from 1915, was mentioned in any romantic context aboard ship.

Vanderbilt, like the Strauses, popped up in a large number of improbable accounts immediately after the disaster. The most believable is that given, under oath, by actress Rita Jolivet who said that a man who MAY have been Vanderbilt stood near her, Frohman, Vernon, Alec Scott, near the port side A deck entrance towards the end. She could not positively say it was him.

The elevator death story. As Ioannis has already said, the lift boys had a 100% survival rate. The first class staircase wrapped around the lifts. Dozens of first person accounts from May 8-14th, written by people who evacuated the dining room, exist. Many of these go into 7,8,15, extensively detailed pages. No one described the doubtlessly horrible sight and sounds of people trapped in a cage that they saw from four angles as the ascended. People ran DOWN the empty steps until very close to the end. They, too, never mentioned trapped people in the lifts. And on an otherwise empty staircase they'd have noticed.

Several people who were on the port boat deck wrote, independently of one another, about a mother with an infant who came hurrying down the deck and fell hard, as an example of the horrible things they saw. From that, we can safely say that an unidentified mother fell with enough force to disturb witnesses. That not a soul on the first class staircase described the infinitely worse sight of trapped, caged, people is a strong indication that it did not happen.

The simple answer is no. It is one of the myths that people drowned in the elevators. The Lift Attendants survived.
I did not know about the survival of the lift attendants but always thought that the 'trapped in the lift' story was rather odd. Human instinct being what it is, I doubt if anyone in their right minds would try to cram into narrow spaces in a flooding ship even if they did not know how the elevators worked.

Hey y'all... I'm no Lusitania expert, as much as I'd claim I am for White Star Line Olympic Class, but I'm an avid reader of the disaster. This site has the personal accounts of the survivors. I have gotten about 1/4 through and have already read two accounts of people noticing passengers stuck in the First Class Elevators. Perhaps they entered them without the attendants?
"Boulton noticed that the elevators had jammed halfway between floors. The passengers inside were screaming and struggling to open the gates. Boulton thought, “They are trapped like rats.”
Mr. Denis Duncan Harold Owen Boulton

This is another example:
"As he made his way into the A Deck saloon class entrance, he saw Alfred Vanderbilt there, calmly distributing lifebelts and directing passengers to the boats, acting as if the whole sinking were a show put on for his benefit. Oliver would never forget the grin on Vanderbilt’s face. Distracted, Oliver lost his balance on the listing ship and crashed on the bottom the B Deck stairs. Getting up he heard the screams of passengers trapped in the elevators, but tried his best to ignore the unfolding horror as he ran towards the newlyweds’ cabin."
Mr. Oliver Percy Bernard

Back