Lusitania mass grave

Can anyone explain to me why the victims of the Lusitania were put into one mass grave? I was reading that they knew the identities of them, and I can't justify why they did this, or why they were even allowed to do this. Since this was a "War Crime" and the world was outraged, I would have believed that they would have done more to memorialized them.

Thanks. Colleen

Hello Colleen, Actually,the majority of recovered bodies are buried in three mass graves at the Old Church Cemetery, Cobh. There are also a number of private graves in the same cemetery.
The problem arose through sheer pressure of work, Cobh, or Queenstown as it was in those days, was ill prepared to accept almost three hundred bodies at once, there were only a couple of undertakers and even though more were brought in from other towns and villages, they were unable to cope. Many of the American relatives wanted their loved ones shipped home for burial which entailed extra time embalming the bodies (some, unfortunately, not properly done according to letters of complaint received by Cunard. The biggest problem of course was time. Bodies had to be interred before they could become a health risk and it was impossible to either dig or even find the space in the cemetery for so many private graves. Cunard does appear to have organised it as well as they possibly could in the circumstances and given the fact that it was rural Ireland almost ninety years ago. Cunard undertook to maintain the graves - not a terribly difficult thing to do given that they are just grassed areas but that only applied to the mass graves, some of the private ones are in disrepair
and the one to Charles and Cora Yeatman has disappeared under years of brambles etc!
A new memorial to the crew has been put in the cemetery by the War Graves Commission, but it does look rather out of place.

Geoff

I know that death is a delicate subject, and I thank you for explaining why this happened. I hadn't even considered it being a work overload, but that makes allot of sence. I thought it just maybe was a matter of not enough space.
A truely sad injustice if you ask me.
sincerely:
Colleen

Back