Lusitania's Regal Suites

Hello all,

There's quite a bit of movement on the Lusy threads lately, which is always a good thing! So I'm hoping to take advantage of the interest and see if our experts can help me out with answers to some questions I have on Lusitania's interior decor, particularly that of her Regal Suites. I can't post a photo of an example of these rooms as the only ones I know of are in a private collection. But there is a good reproduction of the boudoir of one of the suites on page 33 of the Ballard expedition book.

Firstly, who were Lusy's designers? Were there several firms or teams of decorators involved in carrying out the interior appointments? Or was it a single individual's whole vision?

Is it known what specific source or sources might have inspired the Louis XVI touch of the swag motif and Wedgwood cameos that adorn the paneling in the bedrooms of the Regal Suites? I understand that the prototype of this pattern may appear in decorations at the Chateau de Versailles.

Is the swag design a bas relief? It appears to be gilt.

Did all Lusy's Regal Suites have this same wall trimming?

Was the motif used for Mauretania as well?

Are architectural renderings known to survive for these rooms?

I know the basic color-scheme for the Regal Suites was white and gold. But does this not apply mainly to the paneling? What were the colors in the bedding and drapes?

I know these questions are manifold but if someone can help me I will be most appreciative. It hinges on an area of research that I'm trying to finish up this weekend. If you'd like to contact me privately, please feel free. My email address is [email protected].

My sincere thanks in advance.

All my best,

Randy

Hi Randy,

Though I'm by no means an 'expert' I may have some material that might be of use to you, though with some of it I am not sure if it relates to Lusitania or her sister. Perhaps you would be able to find someone who's done some research into it to tell the difference.

Firstly, who were Lusy's designers? Were there several firms or teams of decorators involved in carrying out the interior appointments? Or was it a single individual's whole vision?

No idea, but according to a Cunard document Mr James Miller designed the interiors for 367 (Lusitania), while Mr. H. A. Peto designed those for 735 (Maury).

Is it known what specific source or sources might have inspired the Louis XVI touch of the swag motif and Wedgwood cameos that adorn the paneling in the Regal Suites?

I am not sure, but if you want info. on these suites I've got several pages' worth of specifications which will answer most questions about their décor, fittings, etc. They appear to be Cunard's specifications. I also have the designer's contract which specified exactly what his duty was -- which areas he was to do, etc. If I sent that then perhaps it would help, if no-one else is forthcoming.

I'm really sorry that I couldn't help further, but I hope that some of this might help in however small a way.

Best regards,

Mark.

Hello Randy!

If it helps and if you would like me to check, sitting on my library shelves are reprint's on the Lucy and Maury by Mark Warren.

Best wishes

Andrew W.

P.S. Eric Sauder where are you??

It might not help you immediately, but much information on the decoration was contained in the Lusitania Shipbuilder issue, which was republished and can easily be found. There was also a lavish color brochure issued ca 1910 which had artist's renderings of the suites, but it can be on the costly side when it turns up.

Yes Mark, indeed you have. I thought I replied last night with many thanks but may I reiterate that I am very appreciative of your help. It means a lot and I won't forget it, my friend!

My best,
Randy

Hi Randy,

No problem, I'm glad it's of use. I got your e-mail this morning as my server (or whatever controls it) seems to be going slowly.

Best regards,

Mark.

Back