Malkolm Joackim Johnson (Jonsson)

Chalkie

On 17th October 2009, Henry Aldridge and Son, held an auction of Titanic and White Star Line memorabilia at their Devizes Rooms. In excess of 270 lots went under the hammer with prices ranging from £50 to £60,000. One of the most outstanding items on offer was a remarkable collection of material belonging to Malcolm Johansson, a third-class passenger onboard Titanic. Malcolm Johansson "Sever" was 33-years old when the icy cold waters of the North Atlantic claimed the great leviathan. Although he was born in Sweden, he lived and worked in Minneapolis, USA and owned a successful construction business there. In early 1912, he decided to return home to Sweden where he planned to purchase the farm he grew up on as a boy in Bjorkaryd. However, his attempt to purchase the property was an unsuccessful one and so he decided to return to the USA. It is believed that Malcolm travelled from Sweden to England onboard SS Calypso before booking his passage on Titanic for £7, 15 shillings, boarded her at Southampton on 10th April 1912. Like so many others at the time he was due to travel to the USA onboard the White Star Line’s RMS Adriatic but as a result of the 1912 coal strike in Britain, and a very cruel twist of fate, he was transferred to the Titanic as the Adriatic was unable to make the voyage, her coal stocks having been transferred to the Titanic. Malcolm travelled along with fellow Swedes, Gustaf Joel Johansson and Oscar Hedman. Malcolm died in the sinking of the famous ocean liner and his body, No.37, was recovered by the Mackay-Bennett.

When his body was recovered he was still wearing his boots but his socks were missing according to the official list of effects. All of his belongings were sent back to his family in Sweden, where they remained for 97 years. Malcolm was buried in Fairview Cemetery, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada on 10th May 1912. His archive at the auction comprised an Omega pocket watch with the hands frozen in time at 1.37 (Titanic struck the iceberg at 1.40pm and sank at 2.20am) by immersion in the icy cold waters of the North Atlantic in the early hours of 15th April 1912. The time difference at that time was 47 minutes and therefore, when this is taken into account the watch reads 2.24, just four minutes after Titanic began her final journey to the bottom of the Ocean. Malcolm purchased the watch in Sweden on 9th June 1910, a Lepine Omega of Grade A quality and is the only documented example of an Omega watch to have survived the disaster. In addition to the pocket watch there was also a rare Manifest Ticket for Titanic stamped “10th April 1912.” This particular ticket was initially to be used by Malcolm for his journey to the USA onboard the Adriatic. The ticket was stamped in ink (No. 7) and had suffered from water damage. This ticket would have been very important to Malcolm as he would have needed to present it to the US Immigration Authorities at Ellis Island after Titanic docked in New York. A unique studio portrait of Malcolm was also placed under the hammer.

Finally, a very rare Titanic luggage ticket stamped “2951,” and printed on green card stock was also offered at the auction. Malcolm would have been given this ticket when he boarded the ship and would have needed it to reclaim his luggage when he disembarked in New York. Malcolm’s archive sold for £155,000, the luggage ticket leading the way at £59,000 closely followed by his pocket watch at £58,000.

Did You Know That?
After he lost his life in the Titanic disaster, Malcolm’s brother and family stated he had over $1,000 in dollar bills sewn into his socks prior to leaving the USA, presumably the funds he never used to purchase his farm. His brother, Wilhelm Nilsson, wrote to the authorities in New York several times to find out what had happened to the money that was allegedly sewn into his socks but his enquiries came to nothing.

You have his name spelled incorrectly. It was actually Malkolm Joackim Jonsson.

Titanic struck the iceberg at 1.40pm
I think you meant to say that she struck the iceberg at 11:40 pm.

Malcolm’s brother and family stated he had over $1,000 in dollar bills sewn into his socks prior to leaving the US
According to his biography, his brother stated he had sewn $2150 in dollar bills into his socks.

Last edited:
It was actually Malkolm Joackim Johnson.
I believe he was born Malkolm Joackim Jonsson and was travelling with another 33 year old Swede named Gustaf Joel Johansson. Both men were lost in the sinking but the Mackay-Bennett recovered both bodies separately. Both are resting in peace at Fairview Lawn.

I have an interesting aside about Malkolm Jonsson; I had never before come across the name "Malkolm" (spelt with a 'K') before and always thought that "Malcolm" is of Scottish Gaelic origin and has no Nordic or Anglo-Saxon roots. Could the Vikings have taken the name back to Scandinavia during their various invasions of Scotland between the 8th & 13th centuries?

Similarly, I have heard debates about whther the presumed Scottish Gaelic name 'Callum' is actually filtered down from the Nordic 'Kalman' as a result of those invasions and mingling.

I believe he was born Malkolm Joackim Jonsson and was travelling with another 33 year old Swede named Gustaf Joel Johansson. Both men were lost in the sinking but the Mackay-Bennett recovered both bodies separately. Both are resting in peace at Fairview Lawn.

I have an interesting aside about Malkolm Jonsson; I had never before come across the name "Malkolm" (spelt with a 'K') before and always thought that "Malcolm" is of Scottish Gaelic origin and has no Nordic or Anglo-Saxon roots. Could the Vikings have taken the name back to Scandinavia during their various invasions of Scotland between the 8th & 13th centuries?

Similarly, I have heard debates about whther the presumed Scottish Gaelic name 'Callum' is actually filtered down from the Nordic 'Kalman' as a result of those invasions and mingling.
Thats interesting about the confusion regarding his name. I can't say its applicable to his case (he was already living in America) but it was it not all that uncommon for people to change their names to something close that sounded more american when they immigrated. Sometimes they authorities would do it if they had trouble pronouncing their names. They would just write down something close. I cant say for sure about nordic names but a lot of Italian and German names got americanized for various reasons. Cheers.

I can't say its applicable to his case (he was already living in America) but it was it not all that uncommon for people to change their names to something close that sounded more american when they immigrated.
Yes, I know that several people anglicized their names - even surnames - after settling in America. Titanic survivors Carl Jansson and Karl Jonsson both changed their surnames to Johnson, leading to some confusion about their survivor accounts. There is a separate thread here about that.

At first glance, it looks like Malkolm Jonsson had done the same after he started working in America many years before the Titanic disaster. On his bio here on ET, his original birth surname is a bit confusing. Initially it says that it was 'Johansson' but his mother and stepfather were the Jonssons. That led me to think that his biological father must have been a Mr Johansson but to confuse matters further, ET says that Malkolm's brother was called Wilhalm Nilsson. Either way, Malkolm became Malkolm Johnson in the States.

In any case, it was not his surname but the first name that I was interested in. As I said above, I have not come across the name "Malkolm" (Malcolm spelt with a 'K') before and so it is probably not common. So I wondered how it originated in the first place.

Yes, I know that several people anglicized their names - even surnames - after settling in America. Titanic survivors Carl Jansson and Karl Jonsson both changed their surnames to Johnson, leading to some confusion about their survivor accounts. There is a separate thread here about that.

At first glance, it looks like Malkolm Jonsson had done the same after he started working in America many years before the Titanic disaster. On his bio here on ET, his original birth surname is a bit confusing. Initially it says that it was 'Johansson' but his mother and stepfather were the Jonssons. That led me to think that his biological father must have been a Mr Johansson but to confuse matters further, ET says that Malkolm's brother was called Wilhalm Nilsson. Either way, Malkolm became Malkolm Johnson in the States.

In any case, it was not his surname but the first name that I was interested in. As I said above, I have not come across the name "Malkolm" (Malcolm spelt with a 'K') before and so it is probably not common. So I wondered how it originated in the first place.
According to this it looks like its swedish. Cheers.

According to this it looks like its Swedish. Cheers.
Thanks for that. Acording to the second link above, in Swedish origin the meaning of the name Malkolm is Columba's servant.

But Columba himself was an Irish abbott and missionary. Look at this.
Columba or Colmcille[a] (7 December 521 – 9 June 597 AD) was an Irish abbot and missionary evangelist credited with spreading Christianity in what is today Scotland at the start of the Hiberno-Scottish mission.[3][4] He founded the important abbey on Iona, which became a dominant religious and political institution in the region for centuries. He is the patron saint of Derry. He was highly regarded by both the Gaels of Dál Riata and the Picts, and is remembered today as a Catholic saint and one of the Twelve Apostles of Ireland.

Columba lived in the 6th Century AD and so his work in Scotland would have been during his lifetime. It could be then that the name 'Malcolm' took hold in Scotland. The Nordic invasion of Scotland took place between the 8th and 13th centuries and it might be during those times that the name was taken back to Scandinavia, eventually 'Nordified' into Malkolm.

I believe he was born Malkolm Joackim Jonsson
Yes I agree, being that he was of Swedish descent. That was a typo on my part which I have corrected, although it is possible he anglicized his full name when he was in the States. It is interesting since it was noted his name was Malcolm Johnson, on the bodies and effects list.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Acording to the second link above, in Swedish origin the meaning of the name Malkolm is Columba's servant.

But Columba himself was an Irish abbott and missionary. Look at this.

Columba lived in the 6th Century AD and so his work in Scotland would have been during his lifetime. It could be then that the name 'Malcolm' took hold in Scotland. The Nordic invasion of Scotland took place between the 8th and 13th centuries and it might be during those times that the name was taken back to Scandinavia, eventually 'Nordified' into Malkolm.
Ok thanks for the info. I was going to look up Columba as I wasn't familar with him. His birthday stood out to me as I have read a lot on the worst year ever according to some historians. 536 AD. I wonder if that influenced his calling. 536 AD and the following years hit Ireland and England very hard. Very interesting. Cheers.

Back