Masabumi Hosono

Such a disappointment of how Mr. Hosono had to go through all this pain. He survived such a horrible experience & was not even able to share happiness with his family when he arrived home safe because of his culture, I hope he is rest in peace & once again alive in spirt. I was able to know Mr. Hosono from visiting Titanic Museum in Las Vegas. Its an honor.

I'm doing a report on Mr. Masabumi Hosono. I chose him out of everyone on the Titanic because when I read this I realized how much pain and suffrage he went through. Rest In Peace and I hope one day you will live again in the spirits may your lovely accompaince to everyone come again.:)

Hi, I posted this on fb group and was told by other members that people in this forum might be interested: I have found a document published in October 1942 by the son of 2nd class passenger Mr Hosono Masabumi, in order to regain his father's honor. As some of you might know, Mr Hosono, being one of the few 2nd class male survivors, was criticized and mocked upon returning to Japan and led a quiet life avoiding public until his death in 1939.
Titled "Disaster diary of the oncean liner Titanic", this 9 page long article presents Mr Hosono's testimonies before and after the sinking based on Mr Hosono's letter (https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/last-of-the-last.html) and stories his father had told before his death. This article unfortunately did not catch the attention due to Japan's involvement in WWII at the time.
I knew this article exsited as one of Mr Hosono's descendants mentioned it in a Japanese documentary, however there was almost no record of this document on the internet except for one source on Google Book where it stated that it was published in Oct 1942 on a transportation journal. I was lucky to have found this exact issue of journal in a public library (ISSN: ZSC002707 @Kanagawa prefectural library: https://www.klnet.pref.kanagawa.jp/riyou/kpl_english.htm) near where I live. Interestingly, this library is only 5 minutes walk from Yokohama Port Museum where they keep Mr Hosono's handwritten letter.
I will be publishing a translation of this document in the coming days on fb group and (if requested) here, as I found some of the information to be interesting, although they may not be of much importance.
IMG_20200612_133513_1.jpg
IMG_20200612_133749.jpg
IMG_20200612_134247.jpg
IMG_20200612_134420.jpg
IMG_20200612_140043.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I posted this on fb group and was told by other members that people in this forum might be interested: I have found a document published in October 1942 by the son of 2nd class passenger Mr Hosono Masabumi, in order to regain his father's honor. As some of you might know, Mr Hosono, being one of the few 2nd class male survivors, was criticized and mocked upon returning to Japan and led a quiet life avoiding public until his death in 1939.
Titled "Disaster diary of the oncean liner Titanic", this 9 page long article presents Mr Hosono's testimonies before and after the sinking based on Mr Hosono's letter (https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/last-of-the-last.html) and stories his father had told before his death. This article unfortunately did not catch the attention due to Japan's involvement in WWII at the time.
I knew this article exsited as one of Mr Hosono's descendants mentioned it in a Japanese documentary, however there was almost no record of this document on the internet except for one source on Google Book where it stated that it was published in Oct 1942 on a transportation journal. I was lucky to have found this exact issue of journal in a public library (ISSN: ZSC002707 @Kanagawa prefectural library: https://www.klnet.pref.kanagawa.jp/riyou/kpl_english.htm) near where I live. Interestingly, this library is only 5 minutes walk from Yokohama Port Museum where they keep Mr Hosono's handwritten letter.
I will be publishing a translation of this document in the coming days on fb group and (if requested) here, as I found some of the information to be interesting, although they may not be of much importance.
View attachment 48883View attachment 48884View attachment 48885View attachment 48886View attachment 48887
Hello! I would love to read the translation. I can't find the facebook group you're referring to, could you point me in the right direction please? (I realise the original post is from 2 years ago, hopefully you've still got it!)

Same here. I have PMed Takumi.

On his bio here on ET, it says that he maintained a diary about his experiences and feelings which his granddaughter Yuriko made public recently. Does anyone know if there is a link to it or are we talking about the same document that Takumi has posted above?

There might be a slight error on his ET bio about his rescue. In the main text it says that he was rescued on Lifeboat #13 but in the summary it says Lifeboat #10. I always believd that it was the latter.

In post-disaster interviews that he gave in Hawaii, Hosono claimed that just as Lifeboat #10 was about to be lowered, the Officer in charge shouted that there was room for 2 more; it was at that point that Hosono entered the boat, presumably because there were no other women or children nearby. I think that is the truth because Murdoch was the officer in charge of Lifeboat #10 and as we all know, he allowed men to board if there was still room and no woman or child in the vicinity to use it.

I don't think that Hosono had anything to feel ashamed about; he had the same right to save himself when the opportunity presented itself. It was not as though he was depriving anyone else of their rightful place on the lifeboat. Therefore, culture or no culture, the Japanese Government and public had no right to condemn and vilify Hosono the way they did over the years. IMO it is their behaviour on this matter that I would label as "disgraceful" and not that of poor Hosono.

Hi, I am interested in this record, too.
I would like to read the full text if possible.
I have read a bit of it.

During the evacuation, as my father wrote, "Women and children first!" was shouted, and there were warning shots, but no shootings.
--I see that it says - and other details.

However, this text uses a very old style of writing, and it is difficult for even a Japanese person to read it easily. (There are many difficult kanji characters in this text that are generally not used now.)

Mr. Hosono's grandson is a very famous person and a great influence on the Japanese techno and pop music world.
The last page of the Japanese translation of "A night to remember" also contains a "commentary" by Hosono's grandson. (Japanese paperbacks often include an afterword by the author and a "commentary" by a third party.)
In it, Mr. Hosono recounts an episode in which he dropped his hat into the Thames River before boarding the Titanic. He felt it was "somewhat unlucky," so he bought a new hat, put it on, and boarded the Titanic. But the hat sank with the ship. So, Mr. Hosono apparently told his family that the hat might have taken his place.

Back