Massages in the Turkish Bath

Damon Hill

I was wondering if anyone knew where the massages in the Turkish Baths were actually done. I would assume that they would not have used those low couches in the Cooling room as it would have wrecked the practitioners back(Having done a Massage course they were always telling us off for bad posture!) Also, what was the dress code in the Baths? Was it towels around the waist/shoulders or dressing gowns or something else? Thanks.

Well, (and please correct me if I'm wrong) If you enter the Turkish Baths, there was a door on your left, trough out this door was a small hallway with a couple of doors o each side, I think that behind some of this doors where small rooms with a massage table, so that is would be private. there where also electric baths charged $1 (about $15 today) for use.
And I think that the dress code was just,
towels around the waist.

Damon,

Massage was don in the "Shampooing Rooms". This is where the passenger would be all shampooed up and massaged at the same time. In this case the bather would be completely naked. In fact, in most cases during the Turkish-Bath-process the bathers would be completely naked, but towels were also provided.

Daniel.

Back