Mast crane or derrick

So, I own some RMS Titanic Inc blueprints and they say a crane (Or derrick?) connected to the back of the mast. Could this crane fold into the mast? Does it even exist?

Nerd, read carefully because I will say zis only once. Presumably you are talking about the foremast. The cargo derrick was hinged at its base and did indeed 'fold' back against the mast when not in use. As it wasn't deployed at sea and wasn't used at Southampton either its presence is not immediately obvious but can be clearly seen in photos.

Little extra Bob.

Not sure, but I think you'll find that all the derricks fitted to Titanic had a facility for stowing them horizontal on a thing called a 'crutch'. Vertically stowed derricks was an American idea. Back in my day we could tell a 'yank' ship miles away by the ay her derricks were stowed. Vertical stowage could cause a stability problem as well as a horror story if one broke loose in a storm.

Jim C.

Check out any photo of the Titanic at sea, Jim. The stowed derrick can be seen immediately behind the foremast. Here are a couple of views which show it stowed and (smaller pic) on the way down.
derrick2.jpg derrick1.jpg

derrick2.jpg

derrick1.jpg

Thanks for that Bob.

I'm guessing that they opted for such stowage as there would be no problem stowing a single, light, comparitively narrow diameter tubular in the lee of the much larger diameter mainmast.

Jim C.

This is the alternative stowage arrangement that Jim had in mind, I think. On the Aquitania, which had not just one but three forward derricks.

aquitania derricks.jpg

aquitania derricks.jpg

I see. So it was stowed up against the foremast. Yes, it's presence is not immediately obvious because I didn't even know it was there or even existed until further examination.

Thanks Bob.

Back