MAURETANIA I attn Eric Longo

Hello again Eric, by word of mouth from an Antique dealer I was pointed to a second-hand
store owner, who used to collect Ocean Liner memorabilia. He took me down to his basement and showed me an original photo which he thought was Lusitania, I corrected him and let him know it was Mauretania 1. After a year, I finally aquired the photo. It shows the liner entering Havana harbor. After diligent research via NY Times & University of Liverpool (Tim Garner assited) I pinpointed the occasion...Feb. 5 '30 Maury left Southampton and arrived Feb. 14 Havana. Also the NY Times noted this historic event with...'TO GREET THE MAURETANIA'
'Havana Plans Celebration Feb. 14 for the Biggest Liner Ever to Enter.' "Dr. Manuel de la Cruz, president of the Cuban National Tourist Commission, said yesterday that the Cuban Government would issue a special decree permitting the city's stores to remain open until 11 P.M. instead of 6 P.M."
(In order to greet Maury at the quayside)

It is a wonderful, appox. 8 x 10, sepia-toned image as well as great provenance! Makes me smile...:)

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Hi Michael,

That sounds like a fabulous photograph and great find. And I appreciate your taking the time to share the information you dug up. I'd like to see the photograph if you care to post it when you are able. That is a large size too; is it a candid or some other type of image?

You just never know what will turn up where. I have had good luck in antique shops and at paper/postcard shows, but also used book shops seem to always have a box or two of "stuff" laying around if you ask - as I said you never know. I once found a huge collection of on board souvenirs/mementos from a 1931 cruise that included all manner of things - luggage tags, deck chair reservation cards, table number cards, dried flowers and wine labels with table numbers on them, notes about the tastes of the food (including some dried fruit from luncheon still inside a folded deckled edged menu) and more. This was found in an art glass shop!

The image I posted today in the other thread, the "bookend" montage I made, has a brother - a good profile of her heading to Cuba dressed in flags. I also have a photograph taken by the on board photographer (the usual 5"x7") of her in white livery, dressed in flags again, passing Morro Castle. I have a small collection of photographs of her in various ports of call. In no order: Liverpool, Southampton, Cherbourg, Panama, Venezuela, Cuba, Gibraltar, Curacao, Fishguard, New York, Plymouth and so on. Included are images during the war at Halifax (morning of Aug. 6, 1914 & November 21-22, 1916), in the Mediterranean, tied up in 1916 and again in 1917 at Gareloch, passing Queenstown in her first dazzle scheme in March/April of 1918 accompanied by a destroyer and a dirigible, in New York in her last dazzle scheme and more, ending with her entering Rosyth and even one of her in Drydock No. 1 right before scrapping began somewhere around the time of her public inspection.

It is a lot of fun to try and find these images and identify the port and then the date. I am always on the lookout for more. I look forward to the other information you mentioned regarding her maiden eastbound voyage. Drop me an email if you wish at the address in my signature line. I'd love to hear more about your interest in this ship and your collection.

Best wishes,
Eric

Eric: The photograph of MAURY seems to be of a professional taking. The Morro Castle is just fore of her port bow in the backdrop, MAURY is in *full dress* and the admiring public, in their straw hats and automobiles closs-by, can be seen in the foreground. The image does have minor damage in the way of a small water-stain, however it does not affect the image's overall detail.
I am going to have a professional copy made, which will not reveal the water-stain, beings that the photo experts expressed the stain can not be repaired on the original image.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

ERIC L.; Here is a breakdown on the MAURETANIA log until I can get a photo to you. It measures
5" x 8" headed w/The Cunard Steam Ship Company Limited, below Steam-Ship (MAURETANIA black fountain penned in), Lat.Ord. 41o 26'N, Long. Chron. 63o 14'W. Course And Distance 490 miles
Bearing And Distance. Run-490 miles-Average speed 23.60 Fresh easterly breeze moderate sea. Day Of Week Sunday Day Of Month Dec. 1st 1907. NEXT-

During research I was delighted to find a Dec. 06, '07 NY Times front, center & top pg. article that's headed: MAURETANIA BEATS RECORD. At the bottom of said article reads -"The daily runs of the Mauretania, computed from noon to noon, were as follows: From 2:20 P.M. Nov. 30, to noon of Dec. 1, 490 knots (supporting my abstract!)

I was curious to know...which officer do you suppose penned in the log readings?

BTW, I originally had two of the papers and traded one to a collector friend Roger McKimm. Sorry, it was before I knew you. I am certain you would love to add one to your outstanding MAURETANIA I collection.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Dear Michael,

I thank you for posting that information. December was the month of that nasty accident at the pier.
I can not answer your question about the officer who may have penned those entries at the moment, but can look in my materials when I can and check with a friend in the meantime. And yes, I certainly would have loved to have added such an item to my collection.

Best wishes,
Eric

Eric: I should have noted the *two* log entries
were, of course, of different date entries. The one I kept is in better condition of the two, no tearing, natural ageing. By Baseball card standards...excellent condition.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Dear Michael,

I am wondering what other Mauretania goodies you may have. I posted two photos for you in the other thread we were posting in - the construction image thread. Hope you like them
happy.gif

Best,
Eric

Hello Eric: Woke up feeling a bit "under the weather", however this forum always perks me up.
As for Mauretania 1...I have some nice menu's, 1910, 1912 (real pretty one) and 1934. On-board writing paper (from E. Sauder) numerous postcards including one that was actually mailed from Lusitania (paquebot) message in part..."A sailor just walked by".

For a time I traded with E. Sauder, parted with some of my nicer Lusitania items.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Hi Michael,

that is very nice indeed. I'd be curious to see what other things you have collected over the years. I'll try and post some more as well.

Best,
Eric

BTW Eric, the wavy/wrinkles are not on the original, this image is just a color copy, as the original rests in safe deposit. And, it is probably not the most prized possesion, perhaps my W.T. Stead letter. I have some great Mauretania passenger lists, writing paper, etc.

Michael Cundiff
NV, US
[email protected]

Back