Miss Lucille Carter

Could someone tell me more about Miss. Lucille Carter, any info will be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew
happy.gif

She married Samuel James Reeves who was killed fairly young in an auto accident. They had a daughter, also named Lucile, and a son David. The daughter married and lived for a number of years in suburban Charleston, South Carolina and the mother moved there to be near her daughter. She died in Summerville in 1962. Lucile Trowbridge (the daughter) later left South Carolina and moved to New England where she died. David Reeves is still living.

Lucile Polk Carter Reeves was a very tall aristocratic looking woman (almost 6 feet)--in photos I have of her she always seemed to have a very nice smile and you get the feeling she would have been someone nice to know.

Phillip

I have a question. What is it with Titanic passengers and named two children the same????? When she was Mrs Carter, she had a daughter named Lucile, and then when she remarried, she had a daugther, also Lucile. THEN when Madeleine Astor gave birth, she had a son named John, and then when she remarried to William K. Dick, she had two children, William and JOHN. Wouldn't this be somewhat confusing? Especially in the Carter/Reeves case, three Luciles?

Alexis,
I think you've confused the generations on the Carters:

William Ernest Carter married Lucile Polk
Their children: (1) Lucile Polk Carter and (2) William Thornton Carter II.

After the senior Carters divorced, Lucile married George Brooke and when she was forty-one had a daughter Elizabeth (who is still living at the age of 85).

Then Lucile Polk Carter (the daughter) married Samuel James Reeves and had a daughter Lucile Reeves who married Clinton Trowbridge.

In the case of Mrs. Astor, you are correct that she had two sons named John. Obviously the "Astor baby" was named for his father. Then Madeleine married William Karl Dick and had two sons--the first was William Force Dick (though sometimes you'll find him listed as William K. Dick, Jr.). The second son is John Henry Dick who was named for William K. Dick's father who was known as "J. Henry Dick."

I hope that helps to sort it out a bit. It can get confusing!

Regards,
Phillip

Back