Modeling the Titanic in 1/350 scale......ongoing project

I am undertaking a build of the Minicraft kit and have stumbled into questions about painting her. What are or have people used to paint the models now since paints have changed, brands disappeared etc ? How good is the Vallejo Titanic set and where can one find it if still in production ? What about the Tamiya acrylic line and blends to match the Titanic colors ? Thanks in advance for your help.....

Bob

I take no one has used the Vallejo set for the Titanic ? It also appears to not be available anyplace as all I have checked quite a few suppliers and all that carry the line are out of stock.....Has anyone used the Tamiya paints and blended those into accurate Titanic colors ?

I am undertaking a build of the Minicraft kit and have stumbled into questions about painting her. What are or have people used to paint the models now since paints have changed, brands disappeared etc ? How good is the Vallejo Titanic set and where can one find it if still in production ? What about the Tamiya acrylic line and blends to match the Titanic colors ? Thanks in advance for your help.....

Bob
Not sure if this will help, but I did a build of the original version of the model (purchased 1975, build done in 1980-81) and used Humbrol enamel paints (which were the recommended paint in the instructions). They worked well, including the getting the "peach" funnel colour right. Obviously more of a pain for cleaning, etc., compared to acrylic. Colours still look good 40+ years later. I have it in a purpose-built display case so it has never had a speck of dust on it.

Sorry, no take-up. You might try a specific 1/350 Titanic modelling website, such as the one below. It falls into the "rivet counter" category, well above my past skill in 1980 (I don't have any now!), but I notice they have a paint section which would be helpful. Whether you want to go into that level of detail, lots of guidance.

Does anyone have a copy of the information sheet which comes in the Titanic paint set by Vallejo ? I am hoping there is some helpful info if someone would be so kind to scan it ? I am looking to working with the Tamiya acrylics and will attempt to mix using them as a base to accurate colors and shades. Thanks to all for their input so far

Bob B in Portland OR

Back