Mystery honeymooning couple

I'm currently trying to find out more information on a young couple who were on the Titanic. Here are the facts I have to go on:
- They were a young couple from the United States honeymooning for approx. 4 months in Europe.
- The wife was put into a lifeboat, but the husband went down with the ship.
So far everything points to the Marvins' except I have doubts about them being in first class because my source says they were ending their honeymoon because the husband was concerned about their money situation. Any suggestions??

Thanks, my wording was kind of confusing, but what I meant to say was that I am doubtful that they are the couple that I am looking for because they were in first class. I'm looking for other possible young couples who fit my description.

Dear Erin, are you sure that the man drowned? I have found this: Dickinson Bishop was a wealthy young widower whose first wife had willed him a major share in the Round Oak Stove Company in Dowagiac, Michigan. He married Helen Walton, of a well-to-do family from Sturgis, Michigan, on November 7, 1911. They were returning from a four-month honeymoon trip to Egypt, Italy, France and Algiers

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/bio/p/1st/bishop_dh.shtml

A likely pair would be Lucian and Mary Smith. He was 24, she was 18. He died after persuading his wife to go into a boat. The incident was borrowed for the film A Night to Remember, where it's given to fictitious composite characters.

Mary Smith's father was a congressman named James Hughes. After the sinking he received a misleading telegram saying that Titanic was safe. At the US inquiry Senator Smith made a helluva fuss about this.

The ET biography has them as living in England, but she was definitely American and I suspect her husband was also.

"...they were ending their honeymoon because the husband was concerned about their money situation..."

I guess we can eliminate the Astors then.

Seriously, it sounds like the Bishops or the Marvins. And weren't the Harders on their honeymoon?

I think Dave's suggestion of the Smiths as candidates for the honeymooning couple is worth considering, mainly because of the detail regarding the husband's financial concerns.

Unlike other young married men in first class, Lucian P. Smith did not apparently have an income of his own in 1912, and although he stood to inherit his father's coal fortune upon the latter's death, money may still have been a concern in 1912.

Regards,
Ben

Since Smith had no income at all, the world tour honeymoon must have been financed by his parents who had no money worries at all. I believe the trip was cut short after two months when the couple discovered that Mary was pregnant.

Erin, it would help if you could tell us what is your original source of information about this mysterious couple..

I suppose it isn't a very reliable source but, a very old family friend was telling me that she was distantly related to this couple on the titanic, frankly, I'm not sure how senile she is and I wanted to see if there were at least any couples who matched her description. The smiths do seem like a likely match though.

Back