Naval Architecture

Hello,
Seeing the number of seamen and yardworkers on this board, I thought you guys might be able to help me. I want to study to become a naval architect but have no clue where to go. I've heard of a few good institutes in the New York area, but I thought that there wasn't really a demand for shipbuilding in the US. Would I have to go to St. Nazaire? Belfast? Thanks for any help,
David.

David, You might want to give Texas A&M a call on this. I heard they have a program and a very good one. There is also the option of asking the collages and universities in the New York area about it directly. They would almost certainly know.

Hope you're up on your math skills. Believe me, you'll need them in a big way!

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Hello David,

Try doing a search on naval architecture on yahoo. There are schools in the U.S.(I think university of Florida is one...). When I was looking at changing my major, I looked into this field. I must say that I find it interesting, but the field is pretty small(compared to others). I opted for a mechanical engineering degree instead, with the hopes of branching off someday. If I can't, than I have plenty of employment opportunities. Also, graduate school in naval architecture is an option. I know some schools offer programs; for instance, I'm looking into the hull dynamics program at Virginia Tech.

Personally, I would take the time to call, write, or check out as many schools as possible, and see what they have to offer. One other thing you may want to ask them is if they aid in providing an internship. Also, you may want to take Michael's advice; I hope you are good at math.

Your welcome to e-mail me privately if you wish.

-Dean

Back