Need help identifying origin of Cunard clocks

Hi does anyone have any original photos of Cunards ticket office in 25 Broadway New york as I have two large clocks & someone has told me this is where they originally came from
122284.jpg

122285.jpg

I think it looks perfectly in-style with the Beaux-Arts interior architecture of the Cunard Building.

Interior photos from the time are tough to come by, I've seen none other than of the ornate domed ceilings, and some long-shots.

Perhaps the best way to research the clock itself is through it's manufacturer's records and the serial number, or any other markings on the clock.

The US Post Office was in possession of the Cunard Building lobby from 1977 until recent years. They, as we know, are capable of anything. It's very possible they had the clock removed. Is there a post office connection that you know of?

thanks for your input... All the info i have that the clocks may have been in the cunard building before the post office connection. they were on the QE2 in the library & then taken off & put in storage in 555 av new york, then taken to Southampton's cunard warehouse..there are no markings or makers names, they are electric & are made of bronze...

Hello Howard,

In my reprint of The Shipbuilder (originally published in 1907), it mentions that the electric clocks that were fitted throughout the Mauretania, were manufactured by the Magneta Company. The Magneta system was, according to the book, a well-known clock system of the early 1900's that was also widely used on land, so it is possible that this particular company produced your fine clock.

Regards,

Lucy

any help would be apreciated. they came from Cunard New york are bronze & the larger hangs upside down & are both electric

[Moderator's Notes: 1. This message, originally posted as a new thread in a different subtopic, has been moved to this pre-existing thread discussing the same items. 2. Two photos, identical to the ones which appear in the first message in this thread, have been deleted from this message. 3. This thread has been renamed. MAB]

Hi, (Hello Lucy)

I am temporarily paralyzed (right arm) but will certainly go through my Mauretania collections and albums when I can to see what there is to see. Offhand, I don't recognize them at all.

Best,
Eric Longo

still trying to find out where these clocks come from any one with a picture or proof where they came from will receive a reward...need authenticity for the auction house.
Regards
Howard

You may consider contacting the American Institute of Architects.

The architectural firms may have archives: Benjamin Wistar Morris, architect; Carrere & Hastings, consulting architects, the AIA would probably know if they do.

The New York Landmarks Conservancy could be of some help, The Preservation League of New York State, New York State Historic Preservation Office, The Museum of the City of New York...

Plus, the AIA may be able to point you in the direction of the general contractor, whose archives, if any, would surely have a record of the clocks.

Hello all,

The Entertainments Officer aboard the Queen Victoria told us that the clock near the Grand Lobby was manufactured by the same company that made the clock on the Big Ben tower at the Houses of Parliament.

Cheers,

Boz

Hello Howard,
That’s a grand pair of clocks. A thought about narrowing their possible heritage is the fact that most of Manhattan was on 115/230 volt DC power in 1919. If you or an electrical friend can recognize the type of motor or magnets inside, AC or DC, then that could support or exclude having been used somewhere in Manhattan. AC motors and magnets usually have damping rings on them. What became the common AC synchronous clock, Mr Warren’s “Telechron”, was barely on the market in 1919. Now a DC mechanism could also represent a shipboard clock but as Lucy points out they were usually a master clock system such as the Magneta. We discussed them in The Straus Clock thread.

Bill

Back