New Carpathia expedition

This article was on the BBC site.
It has one gross error (paragraph 6). Here is the link to the story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/3881125.stm

A team led by a Plymouth diver hopes to bring back the first video footage from the wreck of a ship which rescued more than 700 survivors from the Titanic.

RMS Carpathia, which picked up 705 survivors as the Titanic went down in 1912, was herself sunk six years later by a German U-boat.

Her wreck lies 500ft down in the Atlantic, 300 miles west of Plymouth and 160 miles south-east of Ireland.

Now Richard Stevenson and his 13-man team are to film the wreck.

Without Carpathia and her skipper, Captain Arthur Rostron, there would have been no survivors from the Titanic, which sunk after hitting an iceberg.

Five people were killed in the sinking of the Carpathia in July 1918, which came 15 years after the Titanic embarked on her maiden voyage.

The site of her wreck was discovered by US divers five years ago.

Then, in 2001, a team of divers led by Mr Stevenson, of Plymouth-based Deep Blue Diving, managed to reach the wreck and retrieve some small items.

But due to technical reasons, it was not possible to bring back video footage of the wreck.

Mr Stevenson and his team are leaving Mount Batten in Plymouth on Saturday for a return visit to the wreck.

During the 11-day dive, they hope to explore and document the ship, and locate historical items.

The role of the Carpathia is often forgotten in the Titanic story, so if we can help provide a new angle to the story, that would be great

Carl Spencer, diver
The mission is being backed by RMS Titanic Inc, which owns the wreck.

The company is hoping the divers will be able to raise the Carpathia nameplate from the bow, as well as a special cup awarded to the Carpathia and her captain by the survivors of the Titanic.

Ground-breaking diver technology is needed for the dive, because of the depth and position of the ship.

Mr Stevenson, 34, has taken part in several high-profile exploration dives in the past 10 years and said this was an exciting venture.

"We're all built up for it, and the exploration is well prepared - we're now keeping our fingers crossed the weather will be okay.

Well timed

"I wouldn't say it's dangerous because we are all experienced divers. Having said that, we'll be 300 miles into the Atlantic."

There are nine divers and four support members in the team. Most are from the UK, but there are also expert divers from Italy and South Africa.

One of the divers, Carl Spencer, said next year was the 20th anniversary of the Titanic being discovered, so the dive was well timed.

"The role of the Carpathia is often forgotten in the Titanic story, so if we can help provide a new angle to the story, that would be great," he said.

Divers will only be able to spend a maximum of 24 minutes on the wreck and the ascent and decompression will take more than seven hours, making it one of the most dangerous expeditions carried out.

I hope they bring back some better photos of the wreck and lots of them. The previous expedition I heard about didn't publish a lot. A mosiac of the whole wreck would be nice to see.

Paul, there was a big scandal about RMSTI acquiring Carpathia. After NUMA found the Carpathia, almost immediately after, someone went down and acquired the rights to the ship for the British Receiver of Wreck (since it is a wartime casualty, the UK retained the rights). This person was Graham Jessop. He acquired the rights for what is believed to be less than $250. He traded the rights for Carpathia to RMSTI and was given over 1.7 million shares in exchange for it, and the value of those shares was near $1.30 when he sold them. A tidy profit for him, yes?

There was an earlier Carpathia expedition two years or so ago where some things were recovered by this UK team that is going back. The managmenet of RMSTI threatened legal action and the divers ended up turning over the recovered items.

It's the "New Math" Susan. I mean, if the reporter thinks 1912 to 1918 is 15 years, you just have to give him a passing grade for a good try!
grin.gif

Ah, right, Michael. New math, eh ? I'll remember that next time I go on a diet and only lose 2 pounds. Nope, I'll say, I think that's 12 pounds...

What about this assertion -
"Without Carpathia and her skipper, Captain Arthur Rostron, there would have been no survivors from the Titanic, which was built at Harland & Wolff shipyard in east Belfast. "

What sort of state were the survivors in when Carpathia got them aboard ? Were many close to death ? Who was next on the scene ?

Not that this in any way casts disrespect over the achievement of Rostron and his crew that night.

>>What sort of state were the survivors in when Carpathia got them aboard ? Were many close to death ?<<

A very few were and needed medical attention, and IIRC, one did in fact pass away. Most however were more cold and...understandably...frightened when they were brought aboard. As there were other ships heading towards the area, I don't think they would have all died were it not for the Carpathia. The Carpathia just got there first and as it happened was best suited for the job.

The next ship on the scene was the Californian BTW.

>>A dubious asertion at best eh?<<

Not really. The Carpathia got there first to pick up survivors, and the Californian came up alongside around 8:00 in the morning. That's just history as it actually went down. Obviously though, she was the latecomer to the party.

I have to agree with Mr Standart. It is a fact that the Californian was next on scene. This of course fits with the thoughts of those who believed that ship to have been nearest to the Titanic when disaster struck.

I agree as well. I suppose that my wording was unfair to my meaning however. My point was simply what Mr. Knight and Mr. Standart have pointed out. That of, the Californian was the next ship on scene in factual reality, however many people feel that she was indeed the FIRST ship on the scene...but she chose not to respond. Thus, the dubious comment.

Well, not to split hairs, with a distance of seperation of between 10 to 21 miles...depending on what "side" one likes to hold to...Californian can't really be said to be first on the scene. Just the closest. The rest is a debate for another folder.
wink.gif

Back