Officer Murdoch's Children?

Aly Jones

Hi all,

I'm very Intruiged with officer Murdoch and wish to know why he had no children, or he may have?

I'm aware that officer Murdoch never had children with his wife ada, however why not? Ada couldn't conceive? or was it officer Murdoch that just didn't want children? or he couldn't get her pregnant ?

Came across this link-

Any slight truth too it?

She claims having 9 kids (2 died) with Murdoch which I find not applausable because where would he find the time to get her pregnant 9 times when he had a wife at home plus out to sea. Could he even afford 7 children ?
Maybe 1 or 2 kids?

Or is this some one trying to gain Titanic fame through a high ranked Titanic officer?

I wish he did have children.

Thank you.

Ps. I recall reading that ada regrets not having children until her death. Which could mean she couldn't bare children, or it was a miss opportunity with her loved one or murdoch couldn't have children? . Obviously she never got remarried and had kids to anyone else. So I would like to know why no children.

If you read the article you will see that there is no truth to the second wife/children allegations. They stem from an Elizabeth Crogent who married a "William E Murdock" according to her marriage certificate - the misspelling of Murdoch and the middle name should be a clue that this "Murdock" is not one and the same with Titanic's first officer.

As to why Will and Ada Murdoch were childless, this is, of course, a private matter between a married couple and is somewhat presumptuous for anyone to speculate as to the reasons why. Dalbeattie biographer, Richard Edkins once wrote to me that having no children "was the greatest regret of her life, right up to the day of her death" - I am not sure of his source, but we can say that as their marriage was brutally cut short after only 5 years together it is quite possible they would have gone on to have children.

Back