Olympics Main Engines

It depends what you mean by 'rebuilt'.

They were overhauled on a number of occasions. Specifically, new parts were machined in 1923-24 when she was at Belfast for an overhaul; and then they had new parts and some modifications during a more extensive overhaul in 1932-33. An important element of this work was the fitting of new balance weights (in the form of new crankshafts with the webs extended).

You might think this odd because the engines were *already* designed to be balanced on the Yarrow, Schlick and Tweedy system! Cuthbert Coulson Pounder, from H&W, recalled some decades later that his proposal to fit new, additional, balance weights was treated as 'near-blasphemy' by his engineering colleagues. Nonetheless, it worked: 'Smooth though the running of the unaffected engine was, the running of the rebalanced engine was even smoother'. He noted that the engines had developed power 20 percent in excess of what was originally intended for extended periods, over two decades.

As Kiku said above, after the 1932-33 overhaul her chief engineer noted that the engines were running better than they had in 1911. This is born out by independent surveyor reports.

Unlike relatively new turbines (witness Lusitania's engine troubles in 1912-12, in particular) Olympic's triple expansion reciprocating engines were tried and tested.

They were overhauled on a number of occasions. Specifically, new parts were machined in 1923-24 when she was at Belfast for an overhaul; and then they had new parts and some modifications during a more extensive overhaul in 1932-33. An important element of this work was the fitting of new balance weights (in the form of new crankshafts with the webs extended).

You might think this odd because the engines were *already* designed to be balanced on the Yarrow, Schlick and Tweedy system! Cuthbert Coulson Pounder, from H&W, recalled some decades later that his proposal to fit new, additional, balance weights was treated as 'near-blasphemy' by his engineering colleagues. Nonetheless, it worked: 'Smooth though the running of the unaffected engine was, the running of the rebalanced engine was even smoother'. He noted that the engines had developed power 20 percent in excess of what was originally intended for extended periods, over two decades.

As Kiku said above, after the 1932-33 overhaul her chief engineer noted that the engines were running better than they had in 1911. This is born out by independent surveyor reports.

Unlike relatively new turbines (witness Lusitania's engine troubles in 1912-12, in particular) Olympic's triple expansion reciprocating engines were tried and tested.
Great answer and that is what I mean by rebuilt.

No doesn't surprise me about the balancing, with out going into much detail a road car engine is balanced and of course Race Car engines are balanced - but to a much finer tolerance.

Thank you Mark

(in the form of new crankshafts with the webs extended). This I see as a major replacement part and no five minute job too. 20% more power wow!
I can only think there must of been more than just the crankshafts replacement. Do you know what the further improvements where?
As for the low pressure turbine was that overhaul too?

...and that she got more economical with age. I believe his name was Kimmel(?) and he'd been with the ship since he was 2nd engineer - most of her life. Wish I had his notebooks...
I believe that. With her upgrades and a well trained crew it makes sense. Power plants are a lot like ships mechanicaly speaking. When my plant finaly shut down for good we were running the best we ever had. It should have stayed running another 20 years. Olympic ended because of economic reasons especially with what was going on in the 1930's and the changing industry. Cheers.

Great answer and that is what I mean by rebuilt.

No doesn't surprise me about the balancing, with out going into much detail a road car engine is balanced and of course Race Car engines are balanced - but to a much finer tolerance.

Thank you Mark
Very true. Not so much with the more modern engines but V8/V6's from the older days say the 50-70's improve greatly with balancing and getting the heads CC'd. Balancing is important in just about everthing. Drive shafts/tires ect. Costs more but well worth in IMO. My ship that I was on couldn't run at full out flank/battle speed for more than about 30-45 mins because she shook so bad it would tear itself apart. Prop, prop shaft and hull/ballast problems plaqued her after her retrofit. At least thats what I was told. Cheers.

If an crankshaft is replaced that requires a major engine strip down. No doubt you find other parts need replacement or repairs. Which all go towards improving efficiency. How about the turbine was that to repaired or overhaul?

If an crankshaft is replaced that requires a major engine strip down. No doubt you find other parts need replacement or repairs. Which all go towards improving efficiency. How about the turbine was that to repaired or overhaul?
Yes the turbine was overhauled/repaired. You can read about it the article below. From what I have gathered the period between repair/overhauls was fairly long compared to the turbines I worked on. But its an unfair comparison as they were very different animals compared to Olympic's turbine. Cheers.
P.S....Thanks to Mark Chirnside for the article.

As mention the two triple expansions engines went under a major overhaul with replacement crankshafts 1932/1933 with an improvement of horse power.
It was a great shame that the ship was withdrawn from service only few years later.
As for the turbine engine and correct me if I am wrong I can only see one major overhaul or repairs in 1912/1913. Where the blades are replaced for an improvement in martials and better resistance against corrosion. Therefore that over 20 years of service. That can only be down to superb engineering standards indeed. As the turbine was made under licence by John Brown shipyard. Question which shipyard did the replacement of the blades 1912/ 1913?

As mention the two triple expansions engines went under a major overhaul with replacement crankshafts 1932/1933 with an improvement of horse power.
It was a great shame that the ship was withdrawn from service only few years later.
As for the turbine engine and correct me if I am wrong I can only see one major overhaul or repairs in 1912/1913. Where the blades are replaced for an improvement in martials and better resistance against corrosion. Therefore that over 20 years of service. That can only be down to superb engineering standards indeed. As the turbine was made under licence by John Brown shipyard. Question which shipyard did the replacement of the blades 1912/ 1913?
According to Marks article her turbine was opened up and repaired in 1920 after her war service. Not sure how they did things then. From my experience sometimes a turbine overhaul didn't require a blade replacement just reconditioning in place.

When mention a 20% increase of power after major overhaul of the engines in 1932/1933. If one looks back at The Britannic engines they had to increase from 15,000hp to 17,000hp and the turbine increase from 16,000hp to 18,000hp. So was the knowledge all ready there but waiting for a slack time to apply?

Back