On The Edge of Daylight

Hey all,

I am here to recommend another Titanic book which is kinda fictional. It's called On The Edge of Daylight By Giselle Beaumont. If ur really into officers, then this is a good one. It was first started as a fanfiction but the details about the ship and it's close proximity to truth (including discipline of officers, and such) are remarkable. It is about a fictional female officer serving as a supposed seventh officer with First Officer Murdoch as her mentor and includes snippets of every officer and other crew/passengers (both fictional and non-fictional). Although some may turn their nose up at this, I request you to please read this published book. It is unlike any fanfiction and deserves recognition for the author's research and hard work.

The website for the book is edgeofdaylight.net . The book is available online on Kindle for about $5. A physical paper copy maybe take longer to arrive.

And as for anyone who have read it, or plans to read it, I would like to start this discussion about characters, fav scenes, criticism, and such.

Poor Murdoch must have been turning in his underwater grave since this book was published.
Especially the fact that the woman who wrote it went so far as to have them, uh, fool around twice in the same day, he dies for/with her, and he touches himself at the thought of her.

And basically centered on the 1997 film pairing Harold Bride with some Rose wanna be, lol.

Especially the fact that the woman who wrote it went so far as to have them, uh, fool around twice in the same day, he dies for/with her, and he touches himself at the thought of her.

And basically centered on the 1997 film pairing Harold Bride with some Rose wanna be, lol.
Never heard of it before this thread. But I will cut her some slack. She wrote a book. Something I can't do. Besides there's a whole industry of these kinds of books. My wife used to read them all the time. She would would get mad at me because I called them "romantic rape books". Cheers.
unnamed.jpg

I have not read the book and probably never will, but if she was specifically referring to First Officer Murdoch of the Titanic, then she would be besmirching the character of an actual decent, happily married man and an excellent ship's officer. IMO, that is carrying writer's licence too far.
I will cut her some slack. She wrote a book
As above.

I have not read the book and probably never will, but if she was specifically referring to First Officer Murdoch of the Titanic, then she would be besmirching the character of an actual decent, happily married man and an excellent ship's officer. IMO, that is carrying writer's licence too far.

As above.
You have a point. I have said numerous times I thought it was a mistake the way Cameron portrayed Murdoch busting a cap on himself without definitive proof he did that. But I could see where people unfamiliar with the history might find that plausible. A female officer on Titanic I would think most people are intelligent enough to know that is made up. But maybe not. I remember somebody talking about a fan fiction story that had Rose talking on her cell phone in 1912.

I have said numerous times I thought it was a mistake the way Cameron portrayed Murdoch busting a cap on himself without definitive proof he did that.
I am one of those that firmly believe that Murdoch was not the officer who might have shot himself. This is largely based on what I found out during my research in the 1990s into scullion John Collins' experience on board the Titanic. Collins appeared to know Murdoch by sight (not personally) and according to his daughter Mary McKee, he was very certain that the "Scots Officer" was knocked overboard along with several others when the wave generated by the sudden lurch of the ship caused Collapsible A to float free and wash away several people in the vicinity. Collins himself lost his grip in the child he was holding and briefly went under but managed to later reach the overturned Collapsible B.

During the same research, I was told that during his WW1 POW days in Germany, Collins alluded to the shooting incident but as a separate event that occurred a few minutes before the aforementioned incident above. But all this is out of scope of this thread.

I agree that the way Cameron depicted poor Murdoch is wrong. I have very strong opinions about writers, filmmakers etc using licence to depict characters in a more negative manner than they actually were. In Murdoch's case, everything known about him in his lifetime indicates a fine man - intelligent, dedicated and successful. He was a fine ship's officer, IMO the best on board the Titanic, was a happily married family man. It is one thing to use licence to depict Adolf Hitler but quite another to use such licence with someone like Murdoch.

I am one of those that firmly believe that Murdoch was not the officer who might have shot himself. This is largely based on what I found out during my research in the 1990s into scullion John Collins' experience on board the Titanic. Collins appeared to know Murdoch by sight (not personally) and according to his daughter Mary McKee, he was very certain that the "Scots Officer" was knocked overboard along with several others when the wave generated by the sudden lurch of the ship caused Collapsible A to float free and wash away several people in the vicinity. Collins himself lost his grip in the child he was holding and briefly went under but managed to later reach the overturned Collapsible B.
I agree, in my opinion, it was Chief Officer Wilde.
No. Your young and still have lots of time to become a good writer. Me...its more of an old dog new tricks kind of thing. Plus there's no desire to do it. So I'm expecting a No.1 best seller out of you. I'll just stick to my goofy posts on the interwebs. Cheers.
Thanks Steven, means a lot. Although I believe age doesn't define who you are, everyone still has potential.
As for the No. 1 bestseller, maybe ;)

Apparently in the book Murdoch's wife split from him because she got lonely from his being overseas, so he gave him the ultimatum, literally, The Sea or Me. Murdoch chose the sea so here we are. The writer seems to heavily rely on the movie as well, even using the actor's likeness of Murdoch in Titanic 1997 on the front cover.

I agree, in my opinion, it was Chief Officer Wilde
Although I think I am conjecturing along the same lines, I don't want to offer an opinion about the probability of Wilde being the Officer involved. In his book The Night Lives On first published in 1986, Walter Lord sort of hints that it might have been Murdoch; but he appeared to have changed his mind by 1989 because I saw/heard Lord say "I personally think it was Wilde" on a live TV interview. A few survivors also mentioned the Chief Officer but over 100 years after the event, we are not likely to know the truth.

Although I think I am conjecturing along the same lines, I don't want to offer an opinion about the probability of Wilde being the Officer involved. In his book The Night Lives On first published in 1986, Walter Lord sort of hints that it might have been Murdoch; but he appeared to have changed his mind by 1989 because I saw/heard Lord say "I personally think it was Wilde" on a live TV interview. A few survivors also mentioned the Chief Officer but over 100 years after the event, we are not likely to know the truth.
I've read a lot about it. Whether right or wrong your right about we will probably never know for sure. My conclusion is that nobody shot themselves or shot anyone else. I believe warning shots were fired. That I agree on. But if you take all the stories that were told at some point they had just about every officer shooting themselves and or gunning down rowdy passengers. Stories often get ginned up or people think they might have seen something and later in their minds it becomes fact to them. I'm not aware that anything new has been discovered on the subject in a very long time. I think the warning shots accomplished what they needed to do. Again that's just my take on it. Cheers.

Back