Patrick Connor

Iam looking for any info, on Patrick Connor,who embarked on Titanic at Queenstown as a steerage passenger.He appears to have been travelling alone,and at the age of 65, I cannot imagine he was doing anything other, than going to join family in US.Patrick perished in the disaster, and was picked up by the Mackay-Bennett, and was buried at sea 0n 24/4/1912. He was fully identifiable.Patrick was probably a distant cousin of mine, and I would love to hear from anyone who knows anything about him.
Pat Jones

Patricia - Hello. Here is a bit of extra information on Mr. Connors (note the 1912 spelling of his name) - I hope this helps:

(From The Emergency and Relief booklet by the American Red Cross, 1913).
No. 87. (Irish). A motorman, 34 years old, was drowned while returning from a visit to his parents in Ireland. A widowed sister and four children were dependent upon him for support, and his brother and wife and two children had also been helped by him. The appropriation made will be administered by the local Charity Organisation Society for the benefit of the dependent sister and her family. (Appropriation made $468).

Hallo, Pat. Patrick had emigrated to the US as a young man and was returning home to New York after an extended stay at his sister's home back in Ireland at Charleville, County Cork (not far from Queenstown). By some accounts he had done very well for himself in the 'States and could easily have afforded to travel 2nd Class. He was certainly carrying a lot of cash and credit by 1912 standards (the modern equivalent of more than £6,000). Maybe he preferred the company of fellow Irishmen who were in good supply in 3rd Class - or maybe he was the kind of man who accumulated money by spending little rather than earning a lot!

Brian, was No 87 listed as 34 years old, or is that a typo? All accounts I've seen of Connors give his age as 65 or 66.

Question:

According to a list I have No 87 is probably Thomas Henry Conlin.
The Red Cross details do not seem to support the identification as Partick Connors. At the age of 65 did Connors have parents in Ireland; a widowed sister and four children and a brother and his wife and two children dependent upon him for support?

I also note that No 87 is said to have been a motorman. According to occupation informations on the Queentown Passenger/Ticket List; Connors was a Farm Labourer; Conlin a General Labourer.

So is No 87 Patrick Connors?

Lester - Greetings - I think you are right in that No. 87 on the Red Cross list is not Mr. Connors.
I will ask Phil to delete it from his Biography until we sort it out.
I also dont think that Mr. Conlin fits no. 87 either.
Best regards - Brian

Greetings Brian,

Thank you for that appreciated. - I must confess to not looking beyond Conlin. - Having belatedly done so I note that Senan Molony identifies No 87 as Patrick Dooley. - I wish I had looked yesterday!

With all good wishes for 2005.
Regards,
Lester

Back