Person spotted on Titanic's First Funnel?

While the unknown stoker seen atop Titanic's 4th funnel in Queenstown has been seen and commented on dozens of times, there has been other reported stories of stokers watching the SS New York nearly colliding with Titanic from one of her forward funnels (as reported in "Titanic Voices: Memories from the Fateful Voyage").

Whilst looking though some postcards taken just after the near-miss, (link: Titanic leaving Southampton) a familiar looking dot can be seen at the top of the 1st funnel Is this possibly one of the witnesses or just a grain / blot on the original postcard?
Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 12.59.29 2.png

It's more blot on the original which was used for the postcards. My postcard had it as well as a similar blot a little over the 1st funnel as well as the postcard of a friend of mine and I also saw it on a 3rd one at auction.

There were witness at the top of the 4th funnel (Middleton & Ervine) during the New York incident.

It's more blot on the original which was used for the postcards. My postcard had it as well as a similar blot a little over the 1st funnel as well as the postcard of a friend of mine and I also saw it on a 3rd one at auction.

Oh well, myth busted people nothing to see here, move along!"
There were witness at the top of the 4th funnel (Middleton & Ervine) during the New York incident.

Maybe in the future, a new photo will be discovered showing 2 heads poking out the 4th funnel. I did actually find another old postcard on the internet possibly showing them but it's probably just another blot since it also appears on the 3rd funnel.

(Link: Lacy Scott and Knight - Auctioneers, Valuers and Property Professionals)

36.jpg

Maybe in the future, a new photo will be discovered showing 2 heads poking out the 4th funnel.

Hopefully. I haven't find one yet showing the 2 heads. Middleton & Ervine might have not get out so far so that it might be hard to see anything.

I did actually find another old postcard on the internet possibly showing them but it's probably just another blot since it also appears on the 3rd funnel.

Sad that this postcard is in such bad state. It is a blot. Here is one of my postcards with a blot at the 2nd funnel.

2017-08-27 at 16-29-11.png

Talking of funnels and pictures, I was at a show today and saw a load of framed prints for sale. All in nice old frames. Some caught my eye and looked interesting. There was one of the Titanic taken from a painting and entitled "Titanic's last sunset". It was very nice, detailed and showing the ship bathed in the orange evening light. Smoke flowing gently up from ALL FOUR FUNNELS !!!

Don't you just hate those basic errors.

Talking of funnels and pictures, I was at a show today and saw a load of framed prints for sale. All in nice old frames. Some caught my eye and looked interesting. There was one of the Titanic taken from a painting and entitled "Titanic's last sunset". It was very nice, detailed and showing the ship bathed in the orange evening light. Smoke flowing gently up from ALL FOUR FUNNELS !!!

Don't you just hate those basic errors.

Agreed. That makes me so mad, I want to yell like Daniel Day Lewis does in his films!

Back to Topic!

Harold Lowe made a similar mistake after recreating the Southampton Water photo as a drawing...

Lowe_Titanic.jpg

Also it's interesting to note he's drawn 3 men in the Crow's Nest and 5 on watch on the bridge wings. Maybe he added them to keep an extra vigilant watch...

Back to Topic!

I'm sorry if this is off-topic. I was wondering how the rakish look in your postcard (and other pictures) became this below. In particular the round rust encrusted shapes that appear nowhere in Titanic front edge views. Are the circular objects pure rust or an original part of Titanic grown large by growth of rust? Thanks

263576-titanic-underwater-expedition-images.jpg

Back