Photos from my stay on the Queen Mary

Three weeks ago tomorrow, I arrived at the Queen Mary. It was the trip of a life time. I managed to get connected with some people who had access all areas so I went with them deep into the box and into the boiler rooms.

Here are my photos from the trip, I'd apprecaite any comments:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8528447@N05/sets/72157600279364793/ (You need to copy and paste the whole URL)

I'm not up on the details of the current ownship status. I just hope I'll be able to return to her for many years to come!

Wow, those are particularly interesting photos. It does put into perspective how much neglect the Queen has suffered over the years in Long Beach. The last time that I visited her in December 2006, the black paint on her hull had faded so much that it looked like a very light charcoal gray. It is particularly sad to me because one of my relatives helped to build the ship as a riveter. Although I think that it's rather unlikely, I hope that someone can acquire the ship and try to restore her to her former glory.

Sincerely,
Tom

Well, I just spent longer than I should have (oh darn) browsing your photos. I visited the Queen Mary in late January of 2007, and it was fun to see your photos of parts of the ship that are not included on the tours. I didn't realize that so much of her original furnishings (chairs, carpet, tables, drawers, etc.) are actually still aboard, just stored away where no can see them. Yes, someone needs to step up and restore her properly. Your images are hauntingly beautiful, but sad too. Thank you!

Sam, please note that the message you're responding to is nearly 2 1/2 years old. Apparently the photos Stuart linked to are no longer available for public viewing.

Back