Photos of Titanic graves in London

ian Hough

Last weekend I went on a tour of visiting several Titanic grave sites in London. You can find their pictures by clicking on the following links (I hope they work - never tried doing it before now) If any one would like a larger photo of them, you can E-mail me privately and I will gladly post them on.

First stop was Hendon Cemetery: Stuart Collett There is no headstone, so I took a photo of the plot where he was buried.

Next stop was Golders Green: Mr Adolphe Saalfeld, but unfortunately the Jewish cemetery is closed on Saturdays - Then across the road to the crematorium to: The Cavendish's again unfortunately as it was Saturday there was no one to open the door to let us into the room where their monument was. But there is a very good tea-room there.

Next onto Chadwell Heath in Romford to: Eva Hart. After finishing our lunch and a glass of lemonade in the Eva Hart pub, we went to the recreation ground to see her commemerative tree and plaque, then over to St Chad's Church to visit the Garden of remembrance there.

The next stop was Greenwich Museum and to find over-night accommodation - I wasn't impressed with the museum there was only a small display for the Titanic and very little in their shop either to do with the Titanic.

Next morning we set out to Putney Vale Cemetery and the Bruce Ismay family plot

Onwards we went - up the road to Mortlake Crematorium to visit the plots of Charles and Sylvia Lightoller. (A lovely lady called Elaine in the office spent over a hour looking through the records for me as I had forgotten my notes). We were both surprised that Charles and Sylvia were not scattered in the same plot.

Next stop was meant to be Ewell: Mrs Mary Roberts, but time was clocking on (Pardon the pun) and we were forced to cut over to woking instead, visiting: Miss Clear Cameron. We couldn't find any plaque, but then time was running out so we took a photo of 'Keats Garden' where she was scattered

Last but not least onto Brookwood Cemetery and the: Duff Gordons.(If you get chance to visit make sure you take note of the map it's like a rabbit warren in there and we spent a long time trying to find our way out).

Our previous searches include:
The Countess of Rothes - Mr Harold Lowe - Mrs Ada Clarke - Mr Walter Perkis

Hope I haven't waffled on, or bored you too much
Houghie

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ian,

Great photos! Thanks for sharing them.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Ian,

Thanks for those links. Great work! I see you're on to Burke's Peerage - rather helpful "little" guide, eh? A few additions/corrections though.

Lucy Duff Gordon's middle name was "Christiana" not "Christina."

Her first marriage was 15 September 1884 and the divorce was in 1890. Her second marriage was 24 May 1900.

Cosmo Duff Gordon's birth year was 1862.

Lucy's daughter's marriage was 7 August 1907.

The Halsbury family name is Giffard. Anthony Halsbury was not a knight/baronet but a viscount/earl so the courtesy title "Sir" does not apply. He was a "Lord." His name should be written as "John Anthony Hardinge Giffard, 3rd Earl of Halsbury." The same applies to his son Adam, the present earl (officially), though as I mentioned to you, he does not use his title. He is just plain old Adam Giffard!

Randy

Ian,

Thank for you sharing the pictures with us. It's nice to see the final resting place of these brave individuals. It must have been quite a moving experience for you being at many of the graves.

Thanks Again!

-Eric-

Randy

Thanx again for the info - I hadn't heard of Burke's Peerage till you mentioned it - my info came from a website called: Genealogy Royal index : Index to royal Genealogical Data - ordered by lastname
Unfortunately it doesn't work on AOL I had to use Microsoft Explorer to get there - do you think Burke's Peerage is worth a look at?

I also checked Adam Giffard out in who's who - If you received my E-mail with the Duff Gordons family tree - It was Adam which married Joanna Cole and had two daughters not Douglas Sorry!!!!

As for Giffard - Gifford I have wrote Giffard in my notes - but Gifford on my website Well spotted

The date of Lucy's divorce came from her ET Bio.

Once again many thanx
Houghie

Hi Houghie,

"...do you think Burke's Peerage is worth a look at? ..."

Yes indeed.

"...If you received my E-mail with the Duff Gordons family tree..."

Was that a file attachment? I'm not finding it.

"...The date of Lucy's divorce came from her ET Bio..."

I supplied most of that info but not the divorce date. It came from another source.

I have much enjoyed looking at your links and think they're a fine thing. We have been treated to Titanic grave tours out in LA. Now we have the English version, too!

Randy

Hi Ian,

Just a correction on Harold Lowe's son. Harold W.G. Lowe passed away on February 25, 1999.

Source: The Titanic Commutator, Volume 22 Number 4, 4th Quarter, February 1999 - April 1999

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jason

Source: The Titanic Commutator, Volume 22 Number 4, 4th Quarter, February 1999 - April 1999

Thanx, No sooner said than corrected.

Does it happen to mention where he was laid to rest?

Many thanks
Houghie

Houghie,

I forgot to mention but maybe you already know it. About 15 yards or so from Cosmo and Lucy Duff Gordon's grave are the graves of Captain Smith's wife and daughter. Mrs. Smith's stone mentions E.J. of course as having been captain of Titanic. On my last visit to Brookwood in April 2000 I picked daffodils that were growing nearby for the Duff Gordon graves as well as for the Smiths. When I got to Smith's widow's grave I saw that someone had recently been there and had also left daffodils which were still fresh in a jar of water. I took the most touching photo of it as the glass caught the glint of the evening sun. I would offer to send it but I bet you'll be out there in a few days taking your own picture!

Thanks again for sharing your photos and research.

Randy
PS) The Smith plot is located on the other side of the same road (St. Margaret's Avenue) as Lucy's and Cosmo's, a bit off from the section that winds round. It's under a grove of trees but be careful - there are deep ruts in the ground there and old roots jutting out so the walk can be a bit tricky!

Randy

I fell over at the Duff Gordons site and when looking for Harold Lowe's grave - the grave yard was so over grown in places, I tripped up over one grave, fell into the dip of another grave covered in brambles and my partner had to come and pull me out.

Whilst looking for some information last night I came across my reject photo's (ie. those I take for my photo album not my website, as so many people have enjoyed my photo's so far, I thought I would open up a special page on my website called: The Editors cut

All the best
Houghie

Hallo Ian - many thanks for all those London sites! You've inspired me to think about getting out and about and having a look-see for them. There's also one in Highgate Cemetary I've wanted to visit as it's just down the road - but does anyone know if Ernest T. Barker is in the East or West Cemetery? That makes a lot of difference to access! I had a similar experience with the helpful staff at Mortlake, who were very happy to look through ledgers and find the plots where Lightoller and his wife were (seperately) scattered.

I know what you mean about Lowe's grave too, unfortunately. Some years ago a young man was periodically clearing it periodically, but I don't think he's been for some time. When I visited a few years ago with Kerri Sundberg we discussed the condition of the grave with one of Lowe's grandsons, who gave us permission to clear and clean it (wash the gravel, etc). We did hope to replace some of the gravel which was rather thin, but unfortunately couldn't find a monumental mason in time. Now, however, another local has discussed it with the family and she is making periodic visits to clear it.

Have you been down to Somerset to visit Pitman's grave yet? I was down there with Jemma Hyder a couple of weeks ago on a research foray, and found it an absolutely lovely spot.

Inger

Are you sure about:
"There's also one in Highgate Cemetary I've wanted to visit as it's just down the road - but does anyone know if Ernest T. Barker is in the East or West Cemetery?"

I don't really have much info on non-survivors - but having just checked his bio on ET it states:

"Barker died in the sinking. His body was later recovered by the Mackay-Bennett (#159) and buried at sea on 24 April 1912."

Curiously interested
Houghie

Sorry Ian - it's a memorial inscription on a family headstone, and is not his 'grave' as such. I don't know if anyone is precisely sure of the location of the headstone. Anyone have any input?

Wonder if the 'Friends of Highgate' would know...

Back