Pictures of Grand Staircase Model

These are some pictures, of the Grand Staircase, model I have made, enjoy.

87889.jpg
87890.jpg

87891.jpg
87892.jpg

87893.jpg
87894.jpg

87895.jpg
87896.jpg

87897.jpg
87898.jpg

87899.jpg
87900.jpg

87901.jpg
87902.jpg

87903.jpg
87904.jpg

Thank you, Jonathan H

That is a very nice looking model! I'm surprised that you haven't gotten any comments yet (it must get a bit slower on this forum during the summer)

Do you have any details on it such as materials used, the amount of time it took, any "interesting" research you had to do to build it, etc?

thank you very much, rob, heres the story, i was 13 and 14 when i built it i am sure most people don't believe that but its the truth i was just really really determined, and focused, disciplined. its got real tiles in it, they are 1 inch its 3 feet and 1 inch long the over all model and foot and half tall, its all wood, i did not really have much to go by some pictures of the staircase that we have all seen in books james camerons titanic explorer helped alot, ken marschalls paintings were of help too. when i was 19 it was accepted into the Houston Maritime Museum, i wanted it to look presentable i refurbished it. so it has been sitting there in the Houston Maritime Museum for 1 year now. i hope this was informative, and if you have any more questions or comments about it, feel free to ask, thank you,
Jonathan H

Hi Jonathan. Model making is very time consuming isn't it? And expensive too! i've been working on models of the lounge and Smoking room and know how fiddly some of the things that ned to be made can be. What sort of wood did you use? How did you go about making all the carved faces on the newel posts? Are you doing any other models at the moment?
Damon

Model making can be time consuming but very very fun, and relaxing. and yes expensive, i used pine, oak, and balsa wood, the newel posts is mainly balsa wood, that i carved. and yes i have new models made and up on a site allready. after September 11th 2001, i felt i needed to do something so i started making the World Trade Center, and the Pentagon, (Shanksville Pennsylvania is being worked on now)if you would like to see these pictures go to http://community.webshots.com/user/jonathansphotogallery id be glad to hear what you think, thank you
Jonathan H

Johnathon I'm interested in learning how you went about creating your WTC model. I've pondered the idea of creating one myself. What types of materials did you use and what did you use for references as far as the designs on the buildings go?

i made the models out of balsa wood, and plastic sheets, i went through pictures and pictures of these buildings to get them just right,
thank you jonathan H

That's amazing, Jonathon. I think my favorite out of the two was the World Trade Center. You practically recreated downtown Manhattan with good accuracy.

Back