Planned Titanic books

This thread that I've just created is some sort of a to-do list for the books I've been planning to buy since 2019. I have to mention that I unfortunately can't keep up with how the situation is going with the postal service that I can quite often ignore or forget about this. So anyway, here's how my list looks like for now:
  1. On a Sea of Glass: The Life & Loss of the RMS Titanic
  2. Titanic in Photographs
  3. Understanding J. Bruce Ismay: The True Story of the Man They Called 'The Coward of Titanic'
  4. Recreating Titanic and Her Sisters: A Visual History (to see other artists who contributed)
These four books will do for now, which will include the A Night to Remember DVD. I do plan to buy more after this, but I want to be a limited with the amount (fom Mark Chirnside, Simon Mills, Jonathan Smith (his upcoming Raise the Titanic: Making of the Movie 2 Volumes), Steve Hall, Sam Harpern, Paul Lee, Bruce Beveridge, J. Kent Layton and others). So that's gonna be it. I'll keep updating this if I'm available to buy other planned books. I hope.

As for other books I plan to buy after these are:
  1. Raise the Titanic: Making of the Movie 2 Volumes (upcoming)
  2. The Unseen Britannic
  3. Titanic the Ship Magnificent - 2 Volumes
  4. Report into the SS Titanic: a Centennial Reappraisal
  5. Strangers on the Horizon: Titanic and Californian
  6. Father Browne's Titanic Album

I also saw on the New Books 2022 page of the Titanic Book Club website, just before it got changed recently, that it showed another book by Jonathan Smith called "Titanic in Cinema", which I assume will be about all the different movies, TV series etc that Titanic has appeared in.

I haven't been able to find any information about this particular title, so can someone out there please give more information about it.

Also, one upcoming book I'm hoping to get when it comes out later this year is "Olympic Titanic Britannic: The Anatomy and Evolution of the Olympic Class" by Simon Mills.

The book 'Understanding Bruce Ismay' could be most interesting and hopefully revealing the truth of his actions in the Titanic sinking. So far, I have kept an open mind on his conduct and do not think he was the coward some accounts have made him out to be. He was just a good target for the press looking for heroes and villains!

Sam Halpin's '...a Centennial Reappraisal' is the best researched and reliable account of the Titanic sinking I have read.

The book 'Understanding Bruce Ismay' could be most interesting and hopefully revealing the truth of his actions in the Titanic sinking. So far, I have kept an open mind on his conduct and do not think he was the coward some accounts have made him out to be. He was just a good target for the press looking for heroes and villains!
Same here. The only thing I like to read about Bruce Ismay is to learn about his early life, family, how he became a chairman after his father's passing and how his reputation was ruined with William Randolph Hearst's Yellow press. I have to be honest, even though that Wikipedia has a reliable sources, I was never able to dig deeper into detail when comparing it to a book or an article, like the Paul-Louden Brown's article on Titanic Historical Society site. I have to give a huge props to Clifford Ismay for writing the book.

Sam Halpin's '...a Centennial Reappraisal' is the best researched and reliable account of the Titanic sinking I have read.
Yep. I haven't been able to read it myself, but I'll try to buy it.

I'd recommend Michael Davie's book "Life and Death of a Legend" which is more a series of essays and reflections on the disaster rather than a straight history. Often neglected but well worth reading.

Davie was probably also the first writer in decades (book was published in the eighties) to make a strong defence of Ismay's actions that night, and I was certainly impressed with Davie's argument.

Dover Maritime Press' also publish a nice edition with the complete unabridged texts of both Beesley and Gracie's books plus the Titanic related chapters from Lightoller's autobiography, which is nice to have at hand.

I don't plan to buy all of them at the same time along with a 26th Volume collection which is not Titanic related. But for Titanic books I'll be going with this approach; sometimes I'll buy four books, then a break, then five more and then the recommended one you mentioned.

Update on my second list: A planned book to buy has been removed
  1. Father Browne's Titanic Album
And added:
  1. RMS Olympic: Titanic's Sister
  2. The Unseen Mauretania 1907: The Ship in Rare Illustrations

I also saw on the New Books 2022 page of the Titanic Book Club website, just before it got changed recently, that it showed another book by Jonathan Smith called "Titanic in Cinema", which I assume will be about all the different movies, TV series etc that Titanic has appeared in.

I haven't been able to find any information about this particular title, so can someone out there please give more information about it.
Hello,

That was an accidental posting by the TBC as what they posted in their newsletter was based on a posting I made on Facebook of a project I was working on. Since the release of Vol 1 & Vol 2 of my book Raise the Titanic: The Making of the Movie, I have started work on a couple more Titanic film related books; one being a reference book on Titanic (also Olympic/Britannic) on film. All I can say at this point is that the book is a guide/list of known film/television (including media such as cine, video, DVD, Blu ray, digital) for those who are new to the subject of wanting to watch/search documentaries, etc. It's not comprehensive, but so far I have 233 entries. Each entry has production details, release, media released on and a brief synopsis. Hopefully some may find it of interest. I have no release date yet for that book as I am working on another book project that I want to get in print come spring 2023.

Hello,

That was an accidental posting by the TBC as what they posted in their newsletter was based on a posting I made on Facebook of a project I was working on. Since the release of Vol 1 & Vol 2 of my book Raise the Titanic: The Making of the Movie, I have started work on a couple more Titanic film related books; one being a reference book on Titanic (also Olympic/Britannic) on film. All I can say at this point is that the book is a guide/list of known film/television (including media such as cine, video, DVD, Blu ray, digital) for those who are new to the subject of wanting to watch/search documentaries, etc. It's not comprehensive, but so far I have 233 entries. Each entry has production details, release, media released on and a brief synopsis. Hopefully some may find it of interest. I have no release date yet for that book as I am working on another book project that I want to get in print come spring 2023.
Hi there,

Many thanks for this information. When I saw the post on TBC, I just wanted to find out whether or not a new book about the history of Titanic in cinema was actually gonna be coming out or not.

Best of luck with getting it written and published, and I'll pick up a copy once it comes out.

Also, I picked up both volumes of your Making of Raise the Titanic book and I think they're both very well written.

I don't want to say this but everyone, please read my first post. This is for my planned Titanic books that I may/might buy. However, I wasn't really clear when I'd posted my first list that as I can't edit it to add suggestions bit or even delete my posts that are not needed. I appreciate the conversation, but this thread of mine is for my planned Titanic books.

And that's it. That's all of the books that I'm going to buy just not yet. College and personal life can get me which will end up with not even getting a chance to buy these 11 books. I did include Mauretania, so I should've changed the title of the thread to just My Planned books of Ocean Liners. But I can't change it and I dislike doing it with reposting the same thing over and over.

This is for my planned Titanic books that I may/might buy.
The quote still stands for recommended books such as the one you recommended @Seumas. I may buy it, but at the same time, I don't want to buy all of them at once.

That is all.

Also, one upcoming book I'm hoping to get when it comes out later this year is "Olympic Titanic Britannic: The Anatomy and Evolution of the Olympic Class" by Simon Mills.
I'm waiting for this book

Titanic on Screen (correct title) in now available via the Blurb online bookstore in both paperback or hardback editions. You can find it here: Titanic on Screen Paperback by Jonathan Smith | Blurb Books UK If you go to the bottom of that same page you will see the hardback version.

Hello,

How happy I am to be able to share my passion for the Titanic! I'm a big fan of this historic event and every time I learn something new, my imagination comes alive. But what could be better than learning about the Titanic through books? I even order essay writings using https://papersowl.com/essay-order for this. I look forward to the release of a new book to once again immerse myself in the history of this amazing ship. Each page awakens emotions in me and makes me think about the tragic fate of its passengers. Many thanks to the author who allows me to dive deeper into the world of the Titanic and see it from a new perspective. Waiting for a new book is a real thrill!
What is a book project, if not a secret?

Back