Rare book owned by Capt WH Parker of the RMS Olympic

My dad passed away last year, he was ex-Merchant Navy, RNR and CO of the local Sea Cadet Unit and left a huge collection of books and naval artefacts which I'm sorting through and selling on eBay. One book found today seems to be quite significant and I wonder if I may post a link as I am now selling it on eBay.
As you can see from the photos, it's a 1904 copy of Norie’s Nautical Tables and it has been stamped W. H. Parker throughout and contains a photocopy of the London Gazette from 30 January 1920 with his name highlighted, along with another photocopied listing of his name. Inside the cover is a label with Capt. W.H. Parker, CBE, RNR with an address in Barnes, SW13. Former Captain of the RMS Olympic, Albertic and Homeric!
I’ve contacted several maritime museums by email with photos and none have got back to me. I had it appraised so have an idea what an auction could reach, but I decided to have the fun of putting it on Ebay! If any of you are interested, here it is:

My dad passed away last year, he was ex-Merchant Navy, RNR and CO of the local Sea Cadet Unit and left a huge collection of books and naval artefacts which I'm sorting through and selling on eBay. One book found today seems to be quite significant and I wonder if I may post a link as I am now selling it on eBay.
As you can see from the photos, it's a 1904 copy of Norie’s Nautical Tables and it has been stamped W. H. Parker throughout and contains a photocopy of the London Gazette from 30 January 1920 with his name highlighted, along with another photocopied listing of his name. Inside the cover is a label with Capt. W.H. Parker, CBE, RNR with an address in Barnes, SW13. Former Captain of the RMS Olympic, Albertic and Homeric!
I’ve contacted several maritime museums by email with photos and none have got back to me. I had it appraised so have an idea what an auction could reach, but I decided to have the fun of putting it on Ebay! If any of you are interested, here it is:

Attachments

• IMG_20240320_152509.jpg
    IMG_20240320_152509.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240320_152531.jpg
    IMG_20240320_152531.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20240320_165747.jpg
    IMG_20240320_165747.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20240320_170011.jpg
    IMG_20240320_170011.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240320_200944.jpg
    IMG_20240320_200944.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 16
I have a few photos of Captain Walter Parker gravel stone at Brookwood Cemerty. It needs a good clean up. If interested I can arranged for it to be done.

Attachments

• Captian WH Parker.JPG
    Captian WH Parker.JPG
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Captain W Parker.JPG
    Captain W Parker.JPG
    682.9 KB · Views: 15
Try contacting specialized auction houses or antique stores that may be interested in such unique items. If I were you, I would also sell everything. Although I would be sorry. I used to not like reading and was lazy. Even in college I found essay writing help, I used https://ca.edubirdie.com/essay-writing-help for this. But over time I fell in love with books. My girlfriend influenced me in some way. She is very well read and probably gave me the right example. Now I collect books.
I would encourage you to continue to explore the possibilities of selling this book through various channels such as eBay or auctions.
In general, think before you take such a step.

Last edited:
Back