Reading and Writing Room Stairs

The most common artist's conception of this room seems to be the one that appears in the special Shipbuilder edition for Olympic and Titanic; in this drawing, there seems to be a small flight of three steps that leads up from the main Writing room to a smaller area adjoining it. I have only seen this flight of stairs in this drawing, never in photos of the actual rooms aboard the ship. I think that if they existed, they would have been a very nice addition to an already pleasant room. Does anyone know if these stairs actually existed in the room, or were they just an original design concept that was later eliminated?

Thanks,

Matt

No these stairs don't exist as can be seen on Olympic's and the shot that is rumoured to be Titanic's reading and writing room. Bill Suader talked about this ages ago in the "Dining Saloon- Some Questions" thread some where in the archives. The so called stairs in the drawing are actucally rays of light from the large windows. I think that was Bill's conclusion. The stairs were never a design concept for the room. Hope this this helps.

Regards,

Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks for that info! It thought that it was funny that the staircase was never in any of the photos that I have seen. I'm glad that other people have thought that these rays of lights were a staircase too; now I feel like I can trust my eyese again. I can't help but be a bit dissapointed though, because I always thought the stairs were a nice feature, even if they never existed! Also, how can I access an archived thread like that?

Thanks again,

Matt

Dear Matt,

From the thread "Dining Saloon-Some Questions" the link is here: https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/discus/messages/5919/5004.html?979890403

It is about the 5th post down, but if you can't find it this is what Bill Sauder wrote ( I hope you don't mind me reposting this Bill)

"There are even hints in Shipbuilder that at least some of the reviews of the public rooms may have been written by looking at *postcards* . For example, consider the description of the Writing Room and look at the drawing of this room in Figure 81.

"At the forward end is a large recess, slightly raised above the general level, which produces a most pleasing effect."

Obviously, the writer has simply looked at this rendering and at a glance, confused the three long white streaks (which the artist meant to represent beams of light coming through the windows) and interpreted it as three small steps up into the alcove. Photos of the room show the steps never existed, and the plans from Harland and Wolff show the steel deck was never designed for a raised alcove, or that the decision reversed at a later time."

If you want more detail go to his post, he has some really interesting facts. At the time of this thread I was asking weather all not there was carpet in the Dining Saloon.In summary, there was none, it was tiled.

All the best,

Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks for that info! It thought that it was funny that the staircase was never in any of the photos that I have seen. I'm glad that other people have thought that these rays of lights were a staircase too; now I feel like I can trust my eyese again. I can't help but be a bit dissapointed though, because I always thought the stairs were a nice feature, even if they never existed! Also, how can I access an archived thread like that?

Thanks again,

Matt
I'm actually pretty sure all photos of the R & W room are of Olympic and Titanic's R & W room was unique in having the raised alcove with stairs. It's described in Shipbuilder and the rays of light don't hit the room like that. I have built a 1:12 replica of this room and so trust me I've stared at it at all times of day. Of all the research I've done on this room I'm convinced it was a "special" difference on the Titanic from her sister ship.

Back