Religious Affiliations of the Crew

Hello everyone.. I have a question. I was reading on another post under Crew Research (Charles Lightoller) that he was a Christian Scientist. I was wondering if anyone knew about the religious affiliations of the other crew members of the Titanic and whether they were practicing members or not. Just a thought anyway.. Sincerely, Melissa K.

Violet's gravestone makes specific reference to her Catholicism - It was clearly very central to her life.

There is no reference to any of her maritime (mis)adventures...

Most of the deck officers were, unsurprisingly, Church of England - e.g. Boxhall, Moody and Lowe. Within that there were some distinctions - Moody's family, for example, were associated with the High Church. His grandfather was instrumental in the construction of the beautiful church of St Martins on the Hill in Scarborough, which attracted some controversy due to the Pre-Raphaelite ornamentation. The Oxford Movement of the mid-Victorian age had seen a revival of ritualism and decoration that was seen in some circles as smacking of Roman Catholicism, and it is certainly evidant in St Martins. The accusation of closet 'Papism' was levelled in some sections by those opposed to the church's design. Although James Moody almost certainly never attended the church of St Augustine's in Grimsby (it was only consecrated at the beginning of 1912), his family were also closely associated with this church and parish. A Requiem Service for the repose of his soul was held here in April 1912. Visiting the St Augustines, as with services I've attended in St Martins, I was struck by the similarity in ornamentation and order of the service to the Roman Catholic churches I'm more familiar with - certainly more so than with the Low Church services I've attended with a relative of another Titanic officers. It is interesting that one member of the Moody family later converted to Catholicism after an experience during WWI.

Harold Lowe's family had Wesleyian influences in previous generations (there's a wonderful story, possibly apocryphal, concerning how an ancestor of his saved John Wesley from being stoned). Lowe himself was a profound believer and served as a church warden in later life.

Henry Wilde was married in a Welsh Calvinist Church in Wales - possibly the influence of his wife and her Welsh family.

Hallo Brigitte - I could be corrected as, off hand, I don't seem to have his baptisimal records, but as far as I know he was Church of Scotland/Anglican. He was certainly married in an Anglican church (St Denys in Southampton).

There is a strong, conservative Covenantor tradition in the Dumfries area, and I have heard local rumour dating back to Murdoch's lifetime that suggests he had fallen foul of some of the more rigidly inclined traditionalists in the area.

I've been thinking lately, since we had to fill in the 2006 census here in Australia, about how religious people consider themselves when registering as a religion. I remember, Inger, that you said James Moody once said of his mother that he strove to please her 'wherever she may be'. I thought that this was an odd comment as, being Church of England I'd have thought that he'd presume she was in heaven. However, not being particularly knowledgable about any religion, this may not be odd at all.

I think his comments reflect uncertainty about where/what heaven might be exactly than any unorthodoxy on his part, Christa. After all, many young men (and old!) are on shaky theological ground when asked to describe heaven. It's very hard to let go of the idea of it as a corporeal place. Concepts of a non-physical existence are difficult, and many people may believe very strongly in the continued existence of the human soul beyond death, but not know how to conceive of it on a non-physical plane.

Back