Dylans

Does anybody know where Lord and Lady Rothes’ London home was?

I’ve seen conflicting accounts that they had a townhouse in Chelsea or Kensington that they used during the London Season when they were not at Leslie House in Fife. Does anybody know it’s address and if it is still standing?

I know the Countess was at her London home on April 9th and 10th before taking the boat train to Southampton to board the Titanic.

Thanks!

Norman Rothes' entry in Who's Who lists his London address as 45 Draycott Place, Chelsea, SW3.

I have just quickly checked the 1911 census and the Rothes list their enumeration address (i.e. where they were physically located on the day of the census) as 47 Princes Gate, SW7- which is in Westminster, overlooking Hyde Park. A location in which today you'd struggle to buy a house for much less than £25 million!

By 1921 he was on the Kensington and Chelsea electroal role registered at 10 Ormonde Gate, Durham Place, Chelsea SW3 (near Chelsea Hospital).

Hope that gets you going. I don't have much time to do any more digging right now, but will try to have a look at a few other databases when I get a chance.

Will

Last edited:
On the date of the 1921 census Norman was (unacommpanied by his wife) was recorded at West End House, Iver Heath, Buckinghamshire. Which is located in an affluent outer-london belt of settlement near Uxbridge and Windsor. It is located near to the Great Western railway route into London Paddington station, so was a popular part of the country for those seeking retreats from city life. Lots of large country houses and Lodges in this part of the world.

Norman Rothes' entry in Who's Who lists his London address as 45 Draycott Place, Chelsea, SW3.

I have just quickly checked the 1911 census and the Rothes list their enumeration address (i.e. where they were physically located on the day of the census) as 47 Princes Gate, SW7- which is in Westminster, overlooking Hyde Park. A location in which today you'd struggle to buy a house for much less than £25 million!

By 1921 he was on the Kensington and Chelsea electroal role registered at 10 Ormonde Gate, Durham Place, Chelsea SW3 (near Chelsea Hospital).

Hope that gets you going. I don't have much time to do any more digging right now, but will try to have a look at a few other databases when I get a chance.

Will
Thank you!!!

On the date of the 1921 census Norman was (unacommpanied by his wife) was recorded at West End House, Iver Heath, Buckinghamshire. Which is located in an affluent outer-london belt of settlement near Uxbridge and Windsor. It is located near to the Great Western railway route into London Paddington station, so was a popular part of the country for those seeking retreats from city life. Lots of large country houses and Lodges in this part of the world.
Thank you! I have read that the family did have a home in Iver Heath called “Leslie Lodge”. I wonder if that is the same house?

She also had a house in Hove in East Sussex and she died here. The house is still there and shame no blue plaque yet.
She was also cremated in Brighton in East Sussex and her ashes were taken away. But not in Brighton or Hove.

She also had a house in Hove in East Sussex and she died here. The house is still there and shame no blue plaque yet.
She was also cremated in Brighton in East Sussex and her ashes were taken away. But not in Brighton or Hove.
Yep! Per her death certificate she lived at 23 Brunswick Square Flat 1. One of those beautiful white Georgian townhouses near the sea.

Back