Screensavers

hi
do any of you lot know where i can get a screensaver of titanic's sinking? and not one that is oviously done in photoshop w/ a coloured backgroun and b n w titanic
thanx

I found this one, which I downloaded... But it wouldn't run on XP... But when I saw the preview afterwards, it had a black and white titanic, and colored background... And they used the same picture of Titanic, just tilting it in the air to show it sinking... Cheesy. I found a good one, or so I think, but you have to belong to some German Screensaver club...

I tried...

-D.O.

Can anyone tell me if there is a list of the people who designed the Titanic as I was told my Granfather was a designer for the Titanic and I would like to see if I can find any of his sketches. Someone said they saw drawings on a pub wall in Belfast with his name on "Little" Can any one help?

Tim, I don't think you're going to find a list in the sense that you mean as either Harland and Wolff didn't keep records that detailed, or they haven't survived. The man who designed the Olympic class liners was the Right Honourable Alexander Carlisle. You can read his testimony to the Mersey Wreck Commission.

When he retired from Harland and Wolff, he was succeeded by Thomas Andrews who unfortunately didn't survive the sinking.

Not a problem. BTW, I hope you didn't get the impression that I was saying that your grandfather didn't have a part in the design of these vessels. A ship is a very complex collection of machinary and systems crammed into a hull which you hope will float and even turn a profit for the investors.

While one or two people get the credit for the overall design, he does his work with the help of a large staff who work out the intricate details. If you grandfather had a part in this, then I think he has much to be proud of. The Olympic class liners were, if somewhat conservative, very good ships IMO. Granted, two of them had a bad end, but that's hardly the fault of the people who put them together.

Regarding sketches and other documents, you may want to check with the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum as I understand Harland & Wolff gave them all their surviving documentation several years ago.

The National Geographic website had a superb screen saver that panned over the bow section of the wreck- but now it seems to have vanished- anyone know where i can find that screen saver? (passing above the bow section aka photo mosaic)

I saw one on the National Geographic website that had different pictures of the wreck and would phase in and out,but it was the same pictures. I think it also said on it something about when Robert Ballard returned to see her back several years ago. I know it's stored somewhere on my computer. Does anybody happen to know of other websites to go to get screensavers of the ship herself? Thanks!!!!

Back