Servants' meal menu

LLWH

Hi! Does anyone know what the first class passengers' servants ate? I know they were in the maids and valet's saloon on C deck, but what did they eat there? Was it probably just the same as the second class or (maybe? probably unlikely) third class menu? Any other info about the servants' meals? Thanks!

Probably whatever they could grab. During working hours they were continuously on call, so I am guessing that they would literally grab a bite of whatever they could.

Hi! Does anyone know what the first class passengers' servants ate? I know they were in the maids and valet's saloon on C deck, but what did they eat there? Was it probably just the same as the second class or (maybe? probably unlikely) third class menu? Any other info about the servants' meals? Thanks!
Hello, how have you been? Sadly, for as the moment, no menu has been uncovered that belonged to the maids' and valets' saloon of either the Olympic or Titanic. The saloon had it's own pantry where meals would have been prepared, here they could pour themselves a cup of tea or coffee as well. During dining times a pantryman would have likely prepared the meals for them here.

In Voyage on the great Titanic : the Diary of Margaret Ann Brady, R.M.S. Titanic,. 1912 by Ellen Emerson White, there was a steward to 1st class who became friendly with a 1st class passenger whose snacks were delivered as room service. They shared extra scones one day. :) This is purely conjecture in a historical fiction book, mind you. :) That is the neat thing about having a lack of the "cold hard facts"-- it leaves room to fill in the blanks with novels written about the event. I seem to recall reading something in another book about their servants (not just their stewards) having their own meal time/ place, but I can't remember which book I read it in (it may have been non-fiction). If I find it again, I'll write back. :D

Thanks, guys! Does anyone happen to know how the meals were served? As they're serving class themselves, did they somehow prepare their own/serve themselves (like a buffet or something?) or were they waited on? Like, how did they obtain their food, specifically? As always, thanks so much!

I wonder if where and what the First Class servants ate depended upon their social status and type of relationship that they had with their employers? I have read that in that era some people - especially older ladies - had a paid employee whom White Star would probably designate as a "servant" but who was really a social and travel companion. Similarly, some rich businessmen had valets who were themselves of borderline "gentlemen" social status.

For example Victor Giglio was officially a valet but might he have sat at the same table as Benjamin Guggenheim if the tycoon did not have other specific business meal plans? Similarly Laura "Franks" Francatelli was more of an assistant and secretary to Lucile Duff-Gordon but during travel probably did a few tasks for her employer which a maid would otherwise have done. Franks would probably not have sat at the same table if the Duff-Gordons were dining or entertaining as a couple, but if Sir Cosmo was dining with other male businessmen, would Lucile have asked Franks to share her table? It is bit of a grey area of the Edwardian era.

For example Victor Giglio was officially a valet but might he have sat at the same table as Benjamin Guggenheim if the tycoon did not have other specific business meal plans?
Based on some more further research it appears that Mr. Giglio wasn't his manservant but more his personal assistant/secretary. I haven't seen any evidence they ate together so far.
Similarly Laura "Franks" Francatelli was more of an assistant and secretary to Lucile Duff-Gordon but during travel probably did a few tasks for her employer which a maid would otherwise have done. Franks would probably not have sat at the same table if the Duff-Gordons were dining or entertaining as a couple, but if Sir Cosmo was dining with other male businessmen, would Lucile have asked Franks to share her table? It is bit of a grey area of the Edwardian era.
If my memory serves right Miss Francatelli actually did eat with her employers in the á la carte restaurant on the 14th of April at their small table. However, this doesn't mean this happened every night of-course.

Thanks Thomas for that.

If my memory serves right Miss Francatelli actually did eat with her employers in the á la carte restaurant on the 14th of April at their small table. However, this doesn't mean this happened every night of-course.
That's what I meant. "Franks" probably was Lucile Duff-Gordon's travel companion when the lady travelled without her husband. Being an independent businesswoman, Lucile might have done so frequently. So, if Franks ate with the couple in the a la carte restaurant on board the Titanic, it might be like I said. At times where the Duff-Gordons dined with others, she might have had her meals separately.

But the OP does raise an interesting question. Talking only through Edwardian mores, people like Laura Francatelli and Victor Giglio might have been considered sophisticated enough to eat in the First Class dining saloon even if on their own or at a table with others of similar social status. But what of the likes of Alice Cleaver, Sarah Daniels, Rose Icard, Margaret Fleming (Mrs Thayer's maid), Amalie Geiger (Mrs Widener's maid) etc? They were definitely servants of First Class passengers but out of work necessity had cabins in First Class spaces close to their employers. Was there a separate area in the First Class Dining saloon designated for servants of passengers and if so, did they have a choice of the same menu as their employers? White Star would have known that their First Class cabins would be occupied by wealthy passengers travelling with valets and maids and so must have made some provision for their boarding.

Was there a separate area in the First Class Dining saloon designated for servants of passengers and if so, did they have a choice of the same menu as their employers?
There wasn't just a separate area, but an entire room for all the maids' and valets' on C-deck with a pantry attached to it.
1669987073202.png

There wasn't just a separate area, but an entire room for all the maids' and valets' on C-deck with a pantry attached to it.
Thanks. Is there any information if the "servants" were served the same food that was on the menu for the First Class passengers who dined at the main Dining Saloon? If not, what choice did the maids and valets have?

Another thing. Even for the First Class passengers, only the menu in the main Dining Saloon was free, right? If any of them chose to eat at the A la carte Restaurant or the Cafe Parisien they had to pay separately. Assuming that they had funds to settle the bill, would someone like Giglio or 'Franks' have been allowed to dine at the restaurant?

Thanks. Is there any information if the "servants" were served the same food that was on the menu for the First Class passengers who dined at the main Dining Saloon? If not, what choice did the maids and valets have?
Hello my friend, I'm sorry for my late response. I haven't found any evidence to support or debunk that the same food was served. It is possible they were served the same as the officers' in their respective mess on the boat deck.
1670083067009.png

Another thing. Even for the First Class passengers, only the menu in the main Dining Saloon was free, right? If any of them chose to eat at the A la carte Restaurant or the Cafe Parisien they had to pay separately. Assuming that they had funds to settle the bill, would someone like Giglio or 'Franks' have been allowed to dine at the restaurant?
The menu as served in the first class dining saloon on D-deck was often included in ones ticket, and indeed an additional fee had to be paid for any passenger planning to eat in the first class restaurant or cafe Parisien on B-deck. Based on that Miss Francatelli was allowed to dine with her employers on the 14th it seems that as long as someone paid for your seating you were allowed to dine in the restaurant.

Based on that Miss Francatelli was allowed to dine with her employers on the 14th it seems that as long as someone paid for your seating you were allowed to dine in the restaurant
Thanks. Obviously, if "Franks" or Giglio sat at the same table as their respective employers, then the latter would take responsibility for ordering food/drink and payment. But would either of those or others in similar status be allowed to eat on their own or with each other at the restaurant if their employers were not present?

Thanks for the menu in your post above but like you say, it does not tell much. Considering the complimentary meals that were served in the First Class Dining Saloon, I think that the menu would have been different for the passengers themselves in the main dining hall and for those in the separate area reserved for maids, valets etc (but I might be wrong). I have a feeling that the maids and valets would have preferred to eat separately because it would then give them a chance to form their own social circle and perhaps gossip about their employers rather than be involved in the stilted atmosphere while sitting with the latter. That sort of thing is very common in "Upstairs, Downstairs" type movies and TV shows set in the Edwardian era.

Back