Shipwreck Uncovered

Wednesday evening on the TV news there was mention of a shipwreck on the Oregon coast that has resurfaced after being burried in the sand for many years. The lead to the story was broadcast then they went to commercials. We were in the middle of a storm at the time and the power went out before I could get the story.
If I can I'll get the information and post it here.

Was it the Peter Iredale? A good portion of the bow of this shipwreck has been visible above the beach sand for many years, but the keel, under-plating, and part of the stern are indeed buried ~ at least most of the time.

No it wasn't the Peter Iredale. The ship has been burried for a long time where the Iredale has always been above the sand.
As a kid in Astoria in the 1950's we made lots of trips to the Peter Iredale and Fort Stevens long before the area was devoloped as a state park.

"'ere yer go," I say, lapsing inexplicably into a bad Hollywood Cockney accent.

http://www.theworldlink.com/photopages/shipwreck/index.php?photo=1

Quite interesting, both the story and the photos. the ONE book I have that can, possibly, identify this ship is in New York and I will not have access to it for another month or more~ but if you have access to Jim Gibbs' book Disaster Log of Ships, or its reprint Peril At Sea (under either title a worthy addition to any library, containing as it does almsot nothing but wreck photos- hundreds of them, from California to Alaska) you might want to scope through the Oregon section.

If you do a Google search using Oregon Shipwreck Uncovered as the keywords, you'll find several articles.

Much obliged for the book recommendation, Jim. I have just ordered a good condition copy of the book under the original title from a bookshop here in the U.K. and I can't wait for it to get here.

Thanks for the link. That is the ship that was on the TV news. They had just shown a small bit as a lead in then went to commercials. The power went out before I got the story.
There is a book Pacific Graveyard By James Gibbs as well that has a lot of information in it.

The site is very close to the remains of the New Carissa - you can (barely) see the Carissa from the Olsen. It's a little bit of a hike to get to the site, but it was worth it. Mostly it's the bow, but there's clearly another piece weathering out of the sea wall behind it.

Back