Side lights/ceilings

ivanpopov

Hello everyone! :)

I`m gonna build Titanic Academy 1/400 and I wanna make it as much accurate as I can. At least I`ll try! :)
Please, can you tell me the size of the lights/ceilings (rounded in red on attached pictures from Honor and Glory)? I guess they are the same size with the ones in the open areas on A and B deck. They look the same size with the skid lights too on the Boat deck, but I`m not sure. Any help will be great!

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Между_1st_Class_Entrance_и_Lounge_Starboard.jpg
    Между_1st_Class_Entrance_и_Lounge_Starboard.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 1st_Class_Entrance_Starboard.jpg
    1st_Class_Entrance_Starboard.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 33
Hello everyone! :)

I`m gonna build Titanic Academy 1/400 and I wanna make it as much accurate as I can. At least I`ll try! :)
Please, can you tell me the size of the lights/ceilings (rounded in red on attached pictures from Honor and Glory)? I guess they are the same size with the ones in the open areas on A and B deck. They look the same size with the skid lights too on the Boat deck, but I`m not sure. Any help will be great!

Thank you in advance!
I believe you are correct. They are the same size and type. The
Son difference is the lights on the boat deck had half-moon shields placed forward to reduce light pollution for the bridge at night. I made my shield from very thin brass stock. For reference, I have attached a picture of one of the deck lamps taken from the Titanic site.
I have built the same Academy kit, you may want to look into “pico”led lights for the overhead lamps on A &B decks. I used fiber optic to light the boat deck, but had little success doing so on the overhead lighting. I ended up using pico lights and darkening them with paint. It was my first attempt at lighting, so some of my lighting is too bright, so I’ve acquired another Academy kit to property light. Take my advice, before you close up any of the decks, turn off the lights in in the workspace and check the lighting.
I found a good source for the actual placement of lights on the website www.36ft-dream.com. Also, great sources of information on lighting, etc. are: Titanic at Cherbourg - Home Page and Dr.Bob Read’s site http://titanic-cad-plans.
Also Flyhawk makes an excellent kit for upgrades. PE, resin, and wood veneer deck, all in one kit design specifically for the Academy 400 scale.

Attachments

• IMG_8344.jpeg
    IMG_8344.jpeg
    708.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0275.jpeg
    IMG_0275.jpeg
    573.3 KB · Views: 25
Hello Andrew and thank you for your reply!
Believe me, I got everything to finally start this build. I`m not a modeller, I just want to build my favorite ship :) The last step is an airbrush kit - still collecting money for it.
I got from Aliexpress a device, which supports about 50-60 leds(attached picture 1). I got light source for fiber optics too(attached picture 2). The reason is that bought these two is because and wasn`t sure what to use for outside lights. And these lights are the most difficult thing to do (at least for me). For the inside I get COB led strip. In my opinion it will be easy to install (crossfingers) :). Got some filters too, almost like Art Braunscheweiger`s. Your idea to paint the as you say PICO lights is great. That`s we can to reduce the light, to be more accurate. Mine are called Micro Leds(attached picture 3, size 0402) and I guess they are the same size like yours. I decided (if I use them) to cover every light with bead. For the side lights on the boat deck, I asked about there size, becouse I don`t know what size of fiber optics to use. If they are like the skid lights` size and if my math is right :) the size of fiber optics must be 0.5mm. By the way, what "clear opening" means? That the light came from this clear opening size? For the mini brass as you said, I`m not sure I`ll handle with this task. Maybe I`ll stay with the kit`s shields.
The links you gave me are great, I know them. Art used 0.25mm for his model and I`m still confused what fiber optics to use fot the lights on the boat deck...
I got Flyhawk kit :) It`s great, really great. Little expensive for my pocket, haha, but I got it. I have (just in case) Eduard`s kit too and wood deck for our model from Aliexpress. Too much, but like I said - I want to be sure I got everything. :) In example Flyhawk`s kit don`t have wooden veneer for cafe Parisien and I`ll cut from the one from Aliexpress.
By the way, I attend to use Vallejo`s colours. What about you? I like very much the colors of the model by Vasilije Ristovic. I`ll do my best to make the same colors.
P.S. Sorry for my english! :)

Attachments

• 3V-12V-AC-DC-Adapter-Power-Supply.jpg.jpg
    3V-12V-AC-DC-Adapter-Power-Supply.jpg.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Fiber_Optics_Power_Supplies.jpg
    Fiber_Optics_Power_Supplies.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 10
  • 10pcs-Lot-Wired-Chip-20cm-3V-Railway-Model-Gundam-Scenes-0402-0603-0805-1206-SMD-Lamp.jpg_.jpg
    10pcs-Lot-Wired-Chip-20cm-3V-Railway-Model-Gundam-Scenes-0402-0603-0805-1206-SMD-Lamp.jpg_.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Vallejo did not have that paint kit available when I began my project. I did mix quite a bit of my paint using Art Braunschweiger’s paint charts. However I think that set from Vallejo is pretty good. Instead of using black, I would use black gray, however. Keep in mind you will need to go with warm white lighting reduced. When I lit up the hall side lights/holes, I used long strips of warm, white LEDs, however, you will need to lower the brightness of the lights a little more if you are trying to match the color the Edison bulbs that were used on the ship as they were very dull.

I'll use Vallejo's colours, but not the set. Definitely black-grey - I have it. Yes, Andrew, I know. Warm white. The strip that I got is dimmable. And by the way on the hull I'll have fiber optics too. I'm with Multi colored kit of Titanic, the holes are drilled by manufacturer and they are pretty big - 1.2mm. Unfortunately, nothing I can do. It's impossible task to close them somehow and then drill them again.

I believe the Academy kits I purchased back in 2019 are both Academy #14215. Both came with some photo and a wooden deck and mast, however I had to drill out all the sidelights/port holes, as I recall, there were several different sizes to drill. As I recall there are some 1000+port holes, quite a tedious process. In that sense, count yourself lucky. Unless a rivet counter examines your ship, you should be OK.

Hi Andrew! Mine is this one: Here. Maybe you are with limited version. I both everything else separately - flyhawk, veneers and etc.
By the way, the only thing for now that I did are the windows of cafe Parisien. There ismire things to do on them, but I got to figure it out how

Attachments

• IMG_20240410_131405.jpg
    IMG_20240410_131405.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240410_131355.jpg
    IMG_20240410_131355.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16
That is the model number of the kit I finished. The other kit that I described is the limited edition with lights, etc.i. The plastic in the kit is identical to yours. Did you say that the sidelights/ portholes in the black section of the hull were pre-drilled?
FYI. The major problem on these kits are the seams where the wing cabs on both sides of the bridge area meet the front wall of the bridge. You will likely need to fill in the gap with plastic card and putty. On the rest of the build, Test fit constantly. I built all the decks as one assembly as it was necessary for me to light and detail. Mating it to the hull posed several challenges. Also there is a sit that you can print floors and walls of the Cafe and1C promenade: Floor Patterns. I used it and it made the areas come to life. Only few people will notice it is there unless it is lit. I will be furnishing my next Titanic with furniture, passengers and crew to draw one’s eye to these areas.

Yes, the kit I have is with pre-drilled portholes.
Hah, this kit have problems everywhere - wrong windows in example. I'm not sure about to put the decks like sandwich... I don't know.
I know about this floors and walls from the link you gave me, but they are for 1/350. There will be difference.

Andrew, I guess so. But I'm not sure about the final result I'll risk with 1/200 ones. I'll scale them down twice. I guess this is the right procedure and I hope there are not some specific things to do about this.

In YouTube there is a guy, who made amazing build of Titanic in 1/200. Type in YouTube "Model boat guy" and you'll find him. I think in every description of his videos, there are links for the floors.

Back