Sinking of the First class Dining Saloon

I have always thought that the way the First class Dining saloon is sunk in James Cameron's Titanic is done a little too dramatically. I think that it would have been more destructive as depicted in A Night to Remember. I would think that the doors to the Dining saloon on the starboard and port sides would have been closed and so when the water in the reception area rose high enough it came bursting through the windows (the ones that you can look through into the dining saloon) and the entrance doors (ripping them off their hinges). On the Titanic wreck the Dining saloon entrances and glass windows are just a jumble of debris. So I'm thinking that maybe the water did build up in the reception area until the pressure was so great that it just burst through into the saloon causing lots of damage and then the rest of the room (farther back near the galley) would have then filled with water much slower. Does anyone agree or disagree or have any ideas?

>>Does anyone agree or disagree or have any ideas?<<

I'm inclined to disagree. The dining saloon was a nice wide open space so it wasn't a problem for water to simply flow in and rise with little interferance from any of the non-structural bulkheads. Keep in mind that much of the destruction you see here is due in no small measure to the breakup occuring near this point. What the collapse of the structure didn't trash, hydrodynamic forces as the ship sank and the violent impact with the bottom would have finished off.

mmm, it is difficult to know since it is a huge room, but I would say that the reception/dinning room area started flooding at 1.45 am (more or less) and sunk completely after the bow had tipped under.

Back