Sinking Titanic model experiments

Mike Bull

The sinking Titanic model was being discussed over in 'Titanic Books', but as I wanted to talk more about the actual model sinking, I've started this here.

What are people's impressions of the sinking/break up as presented by this excellent little model? Personally, I like and agree with the way the ship does not angle so far out of the water before it breaks, as I believe the ship did not exceed a trim of 12-20 degrees before it broke.

Has anyone sunk and observed the behaviour of the model in anything deeper than a large bath? It's agonising, I'm pretty sure the bow would do that falling leaf thing between the heavier mid-section and the less-resitant bow point, but my tub is not deep enough for it to get going!

I am going to take the model with me on a trip and I will hopefully have the opportunity to sink it and give a better impression.

I will have to agree with Mike Bull on the angle of the bow. Also notice the length and location of the hole placed on the model. It may be just where they decided to put it but I think that it gives a very accurate display of how the ship MIGHT have sunk.

Erik

I like the angle, but not the hole-I take that as simply scaled to sink the model in the correct scale-time, and nothing else.

I've already started wondering about building a similar mechanism into a 1/350 scale Titanic model-anyone tried that one?!

What I'd give for a good few feet of water to sink that baby in-and has anyone worked out what depth would be in scale with the model to be 2 1/2 miles deep?!

I can just see it now. The captain and all his officers kneeling around, and leaning over the pool watching the Titanic sink, as the passengers stand mouth gaping, watching in horror.
Low man on the totum pole slowly stands up and salutes the captain, diving in fully dressed to retrieve the pieces. Dripping wet, he dutifully hands them back to the waiting men, only to see it put back together and done all over again.
proud.gif

If I'm correct, for the 1/350 model, wouldn't about 11 meters (36 feet) of water, rouphly be the accurate scaled depth that Titanic took in mid April 1912? Which is almost like throwing the 1/350 model out of a C deck porthole and watching it fall to the water ...

Daniel.

I could use a more detailed description of this little model. I don't have one and likely won't for some time. Can someone please provide more information on its dimensions, appearance, weight, and construction?

Thanks,
Yuri

Colleen,

I am only a mentor on this next trip as this will be this young lads first trip as a Captain. I will be taking a free ride and there to offer advice and take control should things come apart but for the most part just an observer. Whilst I will be in a wheel chair I will not be able to do much. However I have enlisted the help of the Chief Engineer and the Safety Officer. Both who know alot about the mechanics of sinkings (The Chief Engineer having survived one) and have been my co horts in several experiements in the past.

Yuri,

I have already discarded the box to my little model but I would check Barnes and Noble as they are the store where I purchased it.

Erik

As co author of the "Titanic Book and Submersible Model", and, as the designer of the actual sinking model, please allow me this opportunity to say how pleased I am that so many seem to be buying the book and model. I only wish the book was garnering such fine reviews. (I also wish the publishers would pay me my royalties owed as well as the final installment for my work on the project which is now over 2 years overdue!). In any event, I hope all had a fine Christmas holiday and it is nice to hear that many like the submersible model. Kind regards, Steve Santini.

Steve -- Another "titanic" author with a sad tale of woe to tell about royalties. Seems there is great equality in the shabby treatment given authors in the publishing business. I could tell you stories...

This Christmas was particularly bad for authors. One of the major chains needed to raise cash to make its year-end financials look good. So, just in time for the Christmas buying rush, the chain shipped back all of their back list (books published 6 months ago or longer) books to the publishers. Most people don't know that bookstores can return merchandise for cash back from the publishers. Well, as a result backlist books at this chain simply did not get sold as Christmas presents.

Me angry...naw, not much.

-- David G. Brown

--David G. Brown

Awe David, I am sorry! I know where you are coming from. I used to merchandise videos at a "major discount chain" and the store manager used to come up to me and tell me the same thing. (about their year end figures) We would have major shipments come in and extra hours allotted to us to man the racks and make certain they were full, organized and ready to sell out, and I would come in and they would stick some stupid item in it's place, throw all the videos in a shopping cart and stick it in the returns area. All of my extra hours were spent with me sorting and boxing all the items that would have made great gifts.
angry.gif

Hang in there.
smile.gif

Colleen

Back