Small Town Headlineswhat does yours say

being from a small town (45,000), i found it surprising when i looked at the April 1912 microfiche in the local library ... the headline for the April 16, 1912 paper read "1800 DROWN, TITANIC SINKS"..(the "O" in "drown" was even offset) ...it seemed out of place almost in this mostly agricultural paper; no pictures, just text... the thing that was surprising was that i was under the impression that very few papers, especially on that Monday edition, ran so many casualties..(only New York Times); it also went on to state that ALL crew were lost, and those saved were all women and children. It wasn't until the April 18 edition that a picture of the Titanic appeared.

I wish I knew what my local paper read on that historic day! I have been meaning to go to the library and see if I can find anything. Like you, my town is very small, as well. Actually, it would be the paper from the town next to mine, as my hometown is so small it doesn't even have a paper! Oh well, it's not like anything ever happens worth reporting!

A good friend of mine and fellow Titanic enthusiast says he once tried to look into local headlines but came up empty-handed Titanic-wise, but I'd like to try myself.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

I once looked up my neighborhood newspaper for coverage on the Titanic and was very much suprised. I live in a very rural part of Massachusetts, but was surpised to find almost the whole front page dedicated to the Titanic diaster, and I guess it too, was no different than most other papers, as the headlines gave misinterpreted information at first. It gives quite a few picures as well as a tentative survivor list. I'm guessing factors such as this being a costal state, or many of the passengers were from MA, that attributed to this coverage.

Back