Smoking room

Rocky,

maybe this picture will help you further;)

brit_smoking__rm.jpg

Lars

Version 1 has been uploaded!!!!!!!!!!!

Drum roll, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=aed6c152f708534a801fc5f1ef0a3595&prevstart=0

Rocky,

I'm now waiting for permission from my parents to buy the Britannic plans so i'm just bored. I'm making the smoking room too & i have a few questions maybe you or someone else can help me:

If you look @ the right side of Brian Peterson's painting of the smoking room, you see an object what i don't know what it is. Is it a piano or something??
Another Question: How many windows were there @ the smoking room?? Another thing: It seems that there was a dome @ the smoking room, but i can't find it @ brians picture:S Is here someone who knows it??

Lars

If you look very closely on the Boat deck plan from Britannic, hospitalshipbritannic.com/images/Plan_boatdeck.gif , you see dome over smoking room or something.

While the period illustration of the Smoking Room doesn't show a dome (or at least, it is hard to make it out), as Lars showed above, the deck plans (hardly) lie.

I know there has been some debate in the past over what this dome would have entailed. Some believe it was a small glass dome, others believe it would have been similar to the dome that housed the electrolier in the first class lounge. I believe it would have been similar to the one in the lounge, and an electrolier probably would have graced this space.

Michail Michailakis, Mark Chirnside, Daniel Klistorner or Simon Mills may have more light to shed on the information. I have not seen the general specification book for RMS Britannic which I believe is in Simon Mills' possession, but perhaps someone else who has viewed it in the past can shed some light on the information. I know a few people here have viewed it, but I am not sure if they still post here or not.

Hi Lars!

Your A deck pictures are great!
To the smoking room. I am not sure what "object" you mean on Brian Petersons' painting. There was no piano for the 1st class smoking room. (Maybe you mean the fireplace?)
As you know Britannic's smoking room was different. From her plans I can tell you that she was having 4 windows on the starboard side. On the port side the smoking room was a little larger. Not sure but I would guess she had on port 8 windows like her sisters. 4 for sure!

The dome was most likely not a glass dome. More likely it was a "dome" like on the lounge as Steve mentioned.
If I remember right, the Rigging plan show no dome.

Back