SOS Titanic Soundtrack

Hello all!

I was digging though my various Titanic cd's and had a very good time listening to my favourite ragtime tunes. One of my favourites is "Elite Syncopations" by Joplin. I am a huge fan of S.O.S. Titanic, the 1970's movie starring David Janssen and Susan St.James. I was wondering if there is a soundtrack available to that film, or if someone can tell me the names of the tunes used in the film. I know that Elite Syncopations was used in the scene where the First Class Passengers assemble on the Grande Staircase during the initial evacuation. Can anyone identify the other songs used within the film -- such as the sorrowful tune played when Martin Gallagher and Dan Marvin bid farewell to their loved ones. I'd appreciate any help that anyone can pass along.

Thanks!

Jason

Jason- my favorite from that film is the Scott Joplin "Bethena"- it is played a lot when Martin and the gorgeous 3rd class Irish beauty are together. It is a ragtime waltz-absolutely haunting. Part of it is happy-the music for it is easy to find in any Joplin anthology- I like the wistful part. I have the sheet music and can play the easier bits on my piano- it is a long piece-this is the song you mention above.Wish I could say I have seen a CD from the movie-

Thanks Shelley!

I visited the site and fell in love with that Joplin song! I believe that when Martin Gallagher and Dan Marvin are saying farwell, it is a slowed down version of "Bethena". I am going to pop over to a local music store and see if they have any Joplin collections on hand. I think I'd enjoy his music. I wish there was a S.O.S. Titanic soundtrack, it would be on my "heavy rotation" list for sure!

Thanks for your insight Shelley!

Jason

Jason- it has been posted several times here under different threads, but if you missed it- and there is SO much here that archives overnight, that it is easy to do- go to
http://www.melodylane.net/whitestar.html
to find 3 versions of Nearer My God to Thee
and all the other hits like SOnge d/Automne and Barcarolle-3rd class tunes are listed separately-have fun! I like to sing along to Come Josephine in my Flying Machine..

I've retured with another query regarding Joplin's "Bethena". I've searched for this song on the Internet and the only versions I've been able to find are featuring piano only. I'm hunting for a version of the song that has string components (violin, cello) in it as well. Something along the lines of I Soloniski's version of "Elite Syncopations" from their "And the Band Played On" disc.

Can anyone help me out and give me a name of someone who may have covered this tune with something more than a piano.

As always, all help is much appreciated!

Jason

Anyone know the tune where JJ Astor tells Madeline that he is too old to be cavorting about the dance floor and Mary Marvin says she''d like to go sailing and dancing forever and ever?

For those who would like the music from film go to www.kazaa.com/, the music is free albeit a little download time but it has it all. I have Bethena and Elite Syncopation downloaded and they sound like just from the movie except only piano but they sound great. Hope this helps in anyway. Joshua Andersen

The DVD release of the butchered version of the film indicated an isolated music/effects track but I've yet to check this out.

SOS Titanic's main title music set to the vintage film and narration is quite effective.

I was just wondering what some of the peices of music in this fim where.such as the upbeat song sung by the fella playing walace hartley(which first class passengers are dancing to.also the sad paice played by the band as the collapsible lifeboat is washed off the deck near the end of the sinking(just befor the piano rolls down the deck)also the first peice played just after the collision befor they start lowering the lifeboats.thanx.

In S.O.S TITANIC ...When Countess of Rothes enter the dining saloon (covering her face) and we see Molly, JJ Astor and Madeleine talking ...does anyone know the name of that tune that is playing???????????
please tell me!!!

Good evening. I recently was informed that the name of the waltz that Martin Gallagher and "The Irish Beauty" danced to was called, "The Connemara Waltz".

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could find a recording of it (not on the accordion), or find the sheet music? Thanks in advance!

Being a tremendous fan of Scott Joplin music, I thought I would pop my own two cents in. Joplin originally wrote his music for piano solo. Some of his pieces were orchestrated for bands / full orchestras over the years. I can play Bethena on the piano -- that was the first piano piece I ever learned.

As for recordings of the waltz: I know that there was a release in the late 70's with Joshua Rifkin, which included Bethena. There is also a five-disc set of all of Joplin's music, played by John Arpin, which is available. Both versions stick very close to the sheet music, but the Arpin version is a bit slower. I do not know of any band / orchestral recordings of Bethena.

On slightly different subject: who here would pick up a copy of such a soundtrack, especially if it contained some of the major themes from the film and a selection of the period pieces?

Back