SOS TITANIC

chloe

Hi, I would like to know what you're thoughts are about SOS TITANIC, doe's anyone out they're like this movie? I enjoyed watching it, Although it is not my favorite Titanic movie. What do you the people think? you're thoughts are appreciated. thanks Chloe

Personally, I very much enjoyed the movie in it's uncut version - in the cut version, you see Stewardess Mary Sloan (Helen Mirren) seated in a lowering lifeboat and a scene or two later, she's talking with Thomas Andrews - go figure.

In the original version, it begins on the Carpathia; Cottam chatting casually and then going to his cabin. He offhandedly picks up the headphones, gets the message and BAM! - the movie takes off from there, with Captain Rostron, ever 'the Electric Spark', barking orders and the ship racing to save the Titanic's passengers and crew. It is then only after they are taken onboard and Ismay looks out over the water do we 'go back to Titanic'.

It suffers, IMHO, from lack of historical accuracy as do most Titanic movies and, I believe, the interiors were shot on the Queen Mary. However, the pace and structure flow wonderfully. Of course, you have the usual 'add on', such as Lawrence Beesley having a sort of 'fling' with Susan St. James but, at least, for the first and last time, he is portrayed in a movie. I'd rate it somewhere above the '53 "Titanic" but certainly far below "A Night To Remember".

Best regards,
Cook

Hi!
I've been searching for an uncut version of this film and have so far been unsuccessful in finding it. I have two versions with different scenes missing--I suppose if I spliced them together I might get the whole movie! Could you possibly tell me where you found your uncut version? I would greatly appreciate it. You can e-mail me at [email protected] if you like.
Thank you very much!
Sincerely, Tracey

Is SOS Titanic the movie where Lawrence Beesley was played by the same man who played Cal Hockleys' valet in "Titanic"? His name is David somthing in real life. I liked that movie too if we're talking about the same one. Karen

To Tracey and Karen,

Actually, the version of "S O S Titanic" was the original release; it was only later that it was re-edited to fit into a 2 hour tv segments, leaving plenty of room for the ads. You can still find the originals, sometimes on Ebay. Check the running times - if they're over 2 hours, it's a good bet to be the original.

Yes, Beesley was played by David Warner, the same actor who played Spicer Lovejoy in Cameron's "Titanic". Another interesting facet about this movie (for me, anyway) is it showed Ismay (played by Ian Holm) a bit more human than most. One of the most jarring errors in the film, however, was them hitting the iceberg on April 12.

Best regards,
Cook

Ian Holm is an interesting guy to play the more human side of someone. After seeing him in "Alien" I would have thought he WAS a robot.
I'll have to check to see if I can find that movie. I caught it on TV some Saturday afternoon soon after "Titanic" came out and didn't get to see the whole thing. Karen

I enjoyed watching "SOS Titanic." My favorite part was the Carpathia scenes in the beginning. The poor Carpathia barely gets any recognition. I thought it was hysterical that every other word was "Cottam" in the first 15 minutes...You can tell who the screenwriter liked!

Aurora

I think the actor who portrays John Jacob Astor , I think his name is (David Jansen?) looks more like Abraham Lincoln Than J.J.Astor. . Denise

A few additions for this thread. (1) From the standpoint of physical resemblance between actor and character portrayed, Ian Holm as Ismay has to be one of the great miscastings in Titanic film history. Ismay stood in excess of 6 feet and Holm barely exceeds 5 feet. (2) I may have got this from an old conversation here - the actor who portrayed Fleet in ANTR protrayed Gracie in Titanic.

Lou

Denise-

When I watched "SOS Titanic" I called the actor who played JJ Astor 'the wolf man.' He was a little on the creepy side. Not the perfect cast for Mr. Astor....

Aurora

Actually, just my opinion here, I believe David Janssen was cast as J. J. Astor because of his name value. Most of you are probably too young to remember this (and only the Americans, I'm guessing, will even recognize his name) but in 1979 Janssen was still very big, especially in television circles - his primary medium, particularly for tv series such as "Richard Diamond" and "The Fugitive" (the latter remade into a blockbuster movie starring Harrison Ford and based, however roughly, on the Sam Shepard case.) As such, they probably didn't even ask him to shave for the part. And, even so and even though I like his portrayals normally, I too agree he was all wrong for Astor.

Warner was more 'in his bailiwick', though as Beesley, I thought. As were others such as Harry Andrews as Captain Smith, the aforementioned Holm as Ismay (Holm can play anything!) and Helen Mirren, as we mentioned earlier. Susan St. James was also very good, given not much of a part to begin with and absolutely no resolution for her to base any kind of performance on - she really was more of a sounding board for Beesley (Warner) to talk to, bringing out some of Lawrence's actual account of the event.

Geez, now I want to drag out my video and watch it all over again!

Best regards,
Cook

Hi, Pat!

You wrote:

>Warner was more 'in his bailiwick', though as >Beesley, I thought.

The night before I saw "SOS Titanic" on TV I went to the movie theater to see the film "Time After Time" in which David Warner played Jack the Ripper. I'm afraid Warner's portrayal of old Leather Apron completely altered my perception of "Lawrence Beesley." :)

All my best,

George

Back